Tree Stands

909Ridgerunner

Jun 18, 2013
Hey there, new to this site but not a newbie hunter. I was thinking about
hanging a treestand or 2 this year before the archery opener. Anyone
have any thoughts of what works in a variety of different trees?
or what to stay away from?

Well I try to get them up before they loose there leaves that way I know they are not dead trees. After they drop there leaves they all look the same to me and sitting in a dead tree could result in a dead hunter. And try to get a spot where the wind is directional and not swirling around. It may move in a different direction on different days or different times of the day but as long as it is going in a specific direction you can control your scent. I try to have a couple stands so if the wind no good in one spot I can move to a more favorable wind. If the wind is not in your favor you not hunting. My second stand is a climber so I can be pretty mobile. The only problem with climbers is there are not alot of good straight trees here in SoCal. Pine trees are the best if you use a climber. Some of the Black Oaks are ok but they tend to lean a little. And the Blacks will loose all of there leaves in the fall. So if you hang it in Aug. and return in Oct it my have no leaves on it. Stay out of the bedding area. If you contaminate there bedding area you push them out and they will change there travel route leaving you out of the loop. And The number one rule is don't go up with out a safety harness. A lot of hunters fall out of tree stands every year and die or lay there paralyzed til they are found. There are some good tree stand reviews on you tube. Good luck.

I'm in the market as well, so a good friend of mine told me to look in to the Summit Copper head if I can remember right.

Also I'm looking for one that has the strap on ladder that sits flat against the tree with fold down steps. Any of you guys use those types?

If you use a climber make sure you inspect it before use. My brother learned this the hard way by falling 30' when a bolt broke. He was lucky the 243 he had with him didn't go off and kill him. It has a real soft trigger. He walked away with just a messed up wrist.

YvettesSherpa said:
If you use a climber make sure you inspect it before use. My brother learned this the hard way by falling 30' when a bolt broke. He was lucky the 243 he had with him didn't go off and kill him. It has a real soft trigger. He walked away with just a messed up wrist.

Good reason to wear a harnass from then on huh?

After my experiences this weekend I will not hunt tree stands unless its back east for whitetail . Oak trees are a pain in the a@@ to set up in. I sat for 8 hrs in a stand at a 30 degree angle on Saturday not a good experience at all. Spend the money on some asat or sitka and you'll be good to go.I'm a western spot n stalk aggressive type though. I love the reaction from a deer when I sneak in to 40 yds and popup and they're like wtf is that followed by Whack oh my shoulder hurts I think its time for a nap

wackum stackum mackum said:
After my experiences this weekend I will not hunt tree stands unless its back east for whitetail . Oak trees are a pain in the a@@ to set up in. I sat for 8 hrs in a stand at a 30 degree angle on Saturday not a good experience at all. Spend the money on some asat or sitka and you'll be good to go.I'm a western spot n stalk aggressive type though. I love the reaction from a deer when I sneak in to 40 yds and popup and they're like wtf is that followed by Whack oh my shoulder hurts I think its time for a nap

So your saying a ground blind would be better around these parts?

Midwest_Hunter said:
YvettesSherpa said:

Good reason to wear a harnass from then on huh?

Didn't have them back then.

Look at Big Game Treestands. I have one that I need to do a video on sometime in the next few weeks if your not in a rush to buy one. But Big Game Treestands makes great stuff!

I have two hang on stands I hunt with.
1. Gorilla Silverback- Great stand, huge platform and very comfortable for all day sits.
2. Millennium M80 (1st season)- It looks good and for the $100 price tag it was worth a try. They also have a two year warranty.

I personally prefer oaks over the pines. You just need to find the right tree, they are out there you just need to put the time in to find the "one". Another thing to keep in mind when hunting public land around here is to get cables and locks because your stuff will disappear.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu