Trekking poles

Bronkorob

Dec 24, 2018
Those that use them, what do you look for in a set?

Went into a local area to check out the coyote situation this morning, as well as observing other animals. Lots of hills and I can see how trekking poles could be beneficial here, especially if you are weighed down with a pack full of meat.

Came back and looked into them and see all kinds of ways they break down, locking mechanisms, and tips. For the guys that use them, what works what doesn't? Preferences?

I did some backpacking years ago when I was younger back east, and back than the only folks with trekking poles were the old timers.

Below is where I was hiking this morning, and hopefully spend some time hunting this fall. I went in pretty far, this is just a cool pic I took of the area because of the sun and shadows. relatively close to a main road but gives you an idea. Im just getting back into hunting after 15 years off, and realizing how spoiled I was before. In northern utah I was always out with friends and groups that had quads, horses, UTVs, etc. I dont own any of those things personally now, and I anticipate a lot of hiking to get away from the hunting crowds this fall. image.jpegimage.jpeg

LOL I need them more than ever.
This a good question and I await for post.
But my thoughts are as follows.
Wet, or slippery conditions I bet
It would help immensely.
At least 3 points of contact while
Hiking. I got in to a rocky Hill a few years back. And had to back down. Almost broke my neck.

Reactions: msailor
Poles are like four wheel drive in rough terrain, they allow you to redistribute weight safely off your feet for the next step you take and bring you arms into play when climbing or descending. In my opinion they are a must in the west safety wise when steep terrain is involved. I use a carbon fiber set an so far I have been happy with the results. Bought mine at REI before they became hunter/gun hostile and I won't shop there again...

I don't like to just hike with them but I consider them an essential piece of equipment, 1) when packing out an animal, especially if off trail; and 2) really any time I have a heavy pack. They can really be nice when you're just grinding uphill for extended periods of time. I really cannot imagine packing out a deer without them. I also use a carbon fiber set, Black Diamond makes them. I prefer the clamp lock on the BD poles over the twist lock on some other poles (Leki) out there. That's kind of personal preference though.

Reactions: NBK
I have been using cascade mountain tech brand sold at Costco this past year. The locking mechanism works well and they are not that expensive but do the job. I did attach the tips for sandy soft ground but they kept falling off. That’s really the only issue. I don’t know why I ever hiked without them they help my knees and back and I have crossed drainages that I would not have been able to without them.

I don’t know if they are still being sold at Costco but they are avail on amazon. Carbon fiber with cork grips and flip locks.

Last edited:
Reactions: d16ridgehiker
nice country, and water too, I haven't used poles yet but I've been using the primos trigger stick it helps a lot but is noisy
I'm looking also for some poles.

The Cascade Mountain Tech carbons are good poles. I used them for a couple of years and still have them for backups. I broke one of them and bought some Black Diamond Alpine Carbon’s.
Between the two I like the metal cam locks on the BD’s better than the plastic cam locks on the CMT’s. The BD’s also have less flex than the CMT’s.
The CMT’s are an ounce lighter and cost about a third of the BD’s. I also went on the CMT’s website and bought the broken part for $8.00.
The CMT’s are cheaper and parts are readily available which is a plus for them. But I like the stiffness of the BD’s so those are the ones I grab when it’s time to go.

Reactions: Kellendv
I use a single pole that I got at Wal-Mart years ago (camping section)....All ID is worn off....It's aluminum with cork handle and breaks down into 6 pieces with elastic in between each....Folds up into a leather pouch....It's light, stiff, and I can carry it in a turkey vest, back pack, or a small fanny pack....Walking with it is now an essential part of my gear.

I'm pretty sure it's a cheapy, but it's lasted for years.

.002.JPG

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
X2 on trekking poles being like 4x4. I now use Leki aluminum poles there really isn’t a weight difference in the aluminum and carbon fiber so you just have to choose one or the other.

I can say don’t by cheap poles I had a set of Walmart poles (not the same one Steve has they are blue ozark trail poles) on our coues deer hunt and ate crap a couple of times using them with a lot of weight on my back. They can’t handle any weight load and would bend when I used them to support myself multiple times.

I have a few hundred miles on my Leki poles and they are great I think they were like $100.
074260E5-F04C-4956-A64C-1F261BB978F3.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: longbowhunter2
Great info guys, exactly what I'm looking for. I search for these with no direction and I see them from 20 bucks to hundreds of bucks.

Than I see twist locks and has flashbacks to fighting my extending tree saw with twist locks and have to wonder. Sounds like I don't gain much between a $40 set and a $200 set.

Rob,

Or you can go to the swap meet, Salvation Army, Goodwill, etc. and get old ski poles for 5 bucks....They work just fine at Wister....;)

ps....Don't camo paint them....Hard to find....:blush:

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Costco, at least here in CO, carries a carbon fiber pair for $30. I just grabbed a pair a couple of weekends ago. They should work great.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu