Truck Camper Shell Recommendations

WildBilly2

Apr 9, 2019
Hey everybody, looking to get a camper shell for my truck and never had one. Anyone with recommendations? Not looking to camp in under the shell (maybe one night here and there on trips) but just keeping hunting gear and family camping stuff. Thanks

I've had good experiences at Valley Camper in Escondido.. they'll talk you through brands and options, etc. My last one was a Leer, which was in the mid-range in terms of price, between the 'cheap' off brands and the higher priced Snugtops and ARBs, which are nice but not nice enough to justify the price. The Leer got the job done for me. I also had them install a Yakima rack system at the same time I got my shell installed, which was easy if you're interested in one. And got a rubber mat for the bed which helps things from rolling around and is a better platform to sleep on than the grooved bedliner.

I have the Leer shell as well, have had no issues with it. Mine I believe was around 2K with the Thule rack installed on top. I got kind of a middle range one. The paint match was perfect with my truck.

I also have a Leer (180) on my truck. It's a $2Kish shell new, that I got for $360 on CL... Easy to take on and off with a couple hands to help.

I have the Leer shell as well, have had no issues with it. Mine I believe was around 2K with the Thule rack installed on top. I got kind of a middle range one. The paint match was perfect with my truck.
Same here. It was 10 years ago but my Leer was about $2K out the door including the Yakima rack system, bed mat, and install. Paint match was perfect too.

Reactions: nicapopolis
I have had an ARE for years. Great shell, but I don't have any others to compare it to.

I am now in the market for a shell for the new truck.

SoCal is a great market for picking up used camper shells. I paid $650 for mine and it was the right color. I found it on Craigslist.

The problem with Craigslist in SoCal is that the dealers love picking up the used ones as well, so they go very quickly.

I've had good experiences at Valley Camper in Escondido.. they'll talk you through brands and options, etc. My last one was a Leer, which was in the mid-range in terms of price, between the 'cheap' off brands and the higher priced Snugtops and ARBs, which are nice but not nice enough to justify the price. The Leer got the job done for me. I also had them install a Yakima rack system at the same time I got my shell installed, which was easy if you're interested in one. And got a rubber mat for the bed which helps things from rolling around and is a better platform to sleep on than the grooved bedliner.

Closed their doors..... :worried:

Not sure if you’re dead set on a hard shell but thought I would throw this out there. I put a softopper on my F250 because I use the bed a lot for a multitude of other things where the shell would get in the way.

It is real quick on and off by myself. I slept in it with my boys a few times too when I didn’t feel like taking the trailer. I absolutely love it. Just another option.

https://www.softopper.com/

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu