Truck left me stranded

OCOutdoors

Oct 3, 2012
Decided to make a bonsai trip to Mammoth for the weekend with my brother/nephew and my younger son to meet our parents who rented a condo for a week. I left OC around 1pm Friday and picked my bro up in Corona before 2pm but hit traffic before the Devore split. We still managed to get to Mammoth Crk with about 1/2hr of light left so the boys can catch some fish before the sun went down. After the boys woke up Saturday morning we drove around to a few other streams to fish then decided to go back to the condo for some lunch then think about making a drive to Sonora Pass to fish the rivers. As we were pulling onto the street to the condo I heard a funny sound and realized it was coming from my truck. I figured it was the serpentine belt as it was getting close to that time and I had a new one behind the back seat. Turns out it was the serpentine belt tensioner wheel bearings were shot and belt slipped off. Figured I would find one easily and fix it so I could drive home Sunday, I had an important dr. appt to be at with my wife Monday so I needed to be home. Of course the replacements I could find were for trucks with dual alternators and mines a single.
We ended up leaving my truck there and drove my parents truck home so I could make the appt. and will be driving back up Wednesday to fix my truck. At least now I have a reason to go back up and spend a few more days. May even stay till Saturday to try and help a buddy locate deer for his archery hunt being that I won't be able to make it to my archery deer hunt in Utah for the opener. :(

Hey, you still have a reason to get back up there at least. I might just steal your story and use it sometime.

Sucks you'll miss your Utah hunt. I'm in the same boat with a planned trip that was canceled because it conflicts with a job transfer. There is a bear in Northern California that can sleep a little better at night knowing I won't be there....

That sucks. The bright side is it happened at the door of the condo instead of in the Utah desert 150 - 200 miles from services.................

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu