Turkey activity

Climb1983

Sep 21, 2013
Escondido, CA
Hey guys, I was just wondering what everyone observed regarding turkey activity last weekend. I was out Sunday at higher elevation and heard very little gobbling. Also, it seemed like the hens were still grouped up and the toms were too, not just the Jakes.

Just wondering if anyone else had the same experience.

Im seeing the opposite of that. Hens are dispersed, And the Toms are doing there thing. Although it is quiet after fly down due to them being hened up. Try sticking it out until at least noon. the hens should sneak away leaving the toms alone and they may be easier to work with. What exact spot are you talking about? My buddy and I will go there and survey(kill them) the situation for you. ;) Always willing to help.

It all depends on the location but most of those hens you see are most likely Jennys that probably wont nest this year. Many of the mature breeding hens are nested but you there always the chance of a hen abandoning their nest and starting all over again. The jake numbers are definitely down to the point where many of the turkey gurus are getting a bit worried. This year I have seen a total of three jakes vs about 25 from last spring. Not sure what caused this huge drop in young birds but could be bad recruitment during the winter months and high predation.

Seeing that the jakes I have seen wont gobble, this may be the best year to use a jake decoy with your typical hen decoys. I bet in about a weeks time most of these toms will be looking hard for breedable hens and should be a little easier to call in. Just find a good area with turkey activity, stick a hen deke or two out (a jake would be good on private land), and sit and wait while making soft calls periodically.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu