Turkey and Rabbit Brine

chefdave

Mar 5, 2013
Turkey Brine! There are many brine "recipes" out there, I use this as a base and add heat (cayanne or fresh bonnets) about 1/2 cup of rich coffee grounds is great if you are grilling or bbq'ing.

Let's face it, it's dry! A traditionally roasted turkey is beautiful when roasted to perfection. There is a catch though! By the time the bird is at it's most beautiful. By the time it looks like the pictures you see in the magazines and commercials, every bit of mouth-watering satisfaction escaped without pursuit. Setting tradition aside for a second, look at the basic concept of roasting a whole turkey. It's a big bird. It doesn't contain a lot of fat. In order to cook the bird throughout, which is mandatory for safety, you end up with a beautifully, overcooked and dry item that has taken center stage. I have a cure, literally! Brining a turkey is nothing new. It has received a lot of coverage over the last decade as well as deep frying a turkey (I'll cover that one next time). It makes perfect sense. I always brine turkeys for clients as there are few other techniques that will ensure the moisture and flavor levels needed to hold up to long term cooking and holding times. Here it is! For less than eight bucks in ingredients, a turkey insurance policy. Enjoy!

You will need:
Room in your fridge for a bucket or stock pot. (If you are doing this whole)
Your Holiday Turkey
A clean bucket or stock pot
A large bag sufficient to hold your bird, Jumbo Ziplocs are great

1.5-2 gal water
Kosher salt 1.5 cups
Sugar 1 cup
Maple syrup 1 cup
A small handful of thyme sprigs
Rosemary 1 sprig 8-10 inches stripped
Black pepper 2 TBSP
Garlic cloves smashed 10
Whole cloves (spice) 10
4 bay leaves

Clean your turkey with cold water and pat dry. Place it in the bag. Place the bag in the bucket or stock pot. Over medium heat,mix the ingredients till combined and the salt is dissolved. Allow to cool. Pour over the bird. Pressing out any air in the bag, seal it with a twist tie or just tie the bag. There may be brine left over, this may be bagged and frozen for later use on rabbit, it's fantastic! 15 to 18 hours whole 10-14 hours quartered. Pour off the brine and discard. Pat turkey dry, season and roast as you would any other turkey OR quarter and slow roast OR bbq low n slow. You will be surprised! Enjoy!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu