Turkey gobbler call critique and feedback?

Bonejour

Rut - Me worry?
Jan 27, 2013
So, Matagi was giving me pointers on turkey calling, and we thought it might be useful to post a thread to allow feedback for novices. Here's my first post. Let me know what you think, and please feel free to post a demo to help me and others improve our technique.

https://vimeo.com/85976375?utm_source=email&utm_medium=clip-transcode_complete-finished-20120100&utm_campaign=7701&email_id=Y2xpcF90cmFuc2NvZGVkfGJhMzExMWFmZDljMzVlODcxYjc2MTJjZTc5Njk4MmQyODY5fDI0ODcyNDA2fDEzOTE2NDQ1Njl8NzcwMQ%3D%3D

Much better Don! Just keep practicing and get a good control of the air flow and you'll be set. Although just what you are doing will get turkeys to gobble. Next step is to go scout for turkeys and see what they think, they will be a better judge than any human ;)

Don't call at birds you want to hunt. Chances are if you know about them so do others and I bet anything they're going to be calling to scout as well. IMHO the key is to wait and let everybody educate them and then you call when it's go time and will hopefully call one in out of curiosity. I've called pre season and had birds come running but during season they had already heard my whole aray and would not respond. Have a buddy give them a new sound and bingo thunder chicken coming. I'm no pro buy any means but it's what I know.

Attachments

• 2012-05-05_16-03-17_113.jpg
    2012-05-05_16-03-17_113.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 23
  • 2012-03-31_10-59-11_427.jpg
    2012-03-31_10-59-11_427.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
Thanks guys. Great comments and suggestions. It's a big help to be able to post a sample of audio after some initial coaching. Wackum, Matagi had already cautioned me in the same way. I'll be hunting private land in VA in May, but out here on public land I will probably not gobble. I'm working on yelps and cuts with a diaphragm call, and will post another thread when I reach a decent skill level. Again, greatly appreciate all the help from you gentlemen.

Sent via Tapatalk

steveo007 said:
I have a demo but its to large how do I post it ,or a link to it
Fantastic! Do as LP says, upload to youtube or vimeo. once it is up, you can post the link to this thread.

steveo007 said:
Watch "Turkey gobble" on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tXsY1UkUxQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Dang! Now THAT'S a custom call if I ever heard one! Is that how you called in the gobbler in your avatar?
8)

steveo007 said:
Watch "Turkey gobble" on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tXsY1UkUxQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Awesome mouth call!

I tried Steve's technique this am driving to work. Spat saliva all over the place. Too funny.

thanks guys, and I already did spend the money on a haint gobble call,could never get it to sound very good
so ended up watching videos and lots of practice

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu