Turkey Gun / Barrel Length

TrapLine

Feb 21, 2019
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
I am close to purchasing a new shotgun for turkey season, kicking my self now for selling my Mossberg 500, I think I paid $150 bucks for it at Walmart back in the day. But wanted to see what others were using as far as barrel length for turkey. Some of the home defender types 18”-20” are less $$ but would it spread the shot to much even with a choke? I see one with 28” barrel but seems like a lot to swing with. I know I can buy different length barrels later but want to get something that is pretty close out of the box, the 10 day is putting me in a time crunch before the season opens and will still need a few days to pattern some different types of shot through it and get comfortable with it.

What length are you guys using? I am assuming 12 gauge is the go to gauge?

Then get a shotgun sold as a turkey Shotgun. Google them.
Usually camo coated and comes with a turkey choke. Since it is point and shoot. It can be a little heavier.
It can have a slightly longer barrel.
Holds 3-1/2 inch shotgun shells.
About 28" is average , a turkey Shotgun can be longer.
They say the longer barrel helps with Magnum loads. To give it time to
Burn properly.

Last edited:
I shoot a Benelli SBE with a 24" barrel and a Primos Jellyhead choke....The camo was starting to get shiny....So, I just taped it with non glare tape.

Any of the Mossberg turkey guns are great....They come with a 24" barrel, Tru-Glo sites, and in either 3" or 3 1/2" models (500 & 835)….Rem 870's are great too....A 26" barrel is more than fine (shorter is better)...Plain old full choke will do the job with TSS, Hevi-Shot Blend, or Hevi-13 shells.

With the new shotshells now available, I believe 3 1/2" shells are not necessary….In fact, 20 gauge guns are more than enough with TSS shells (3" 1 3/4 oz 9's).

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGDog
I like the Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag Turkey but have not been able to find one in stock. 500 Turkey and Rem 870’s in Camo out of stock, can be ordered but looking at 2-3 week for delivery + 10.

Benelli out of my range this year since I still need to buy a deer/yote rifle and a trapping pistol also.

May just order the 835 and start the season with a beater until it arrives. I have been calling around but may be better just to go in and see what they have. That's what I get for being late to the party.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I like model 835, looking at the reviews and spec's it based on the 500, and can go up to 3-1/2 but accepts all. My Opinion it Would make a great goose gun too.

I shot an 835 Ulti-Mag for waterfowl when 3 1/2" steel loads came....They came with a 28" barrel, which was way to cumbersome....Switched to the shorter turkey barrel (24")….Way more swingable, but those 3 1/2 inchers rocked your world....Benelli then came out with the Super Black Eagle and I've been shooting them ever since.

To start, a Mossy Ulti-Mag would be a great 1st turkey gun, that will be just fine for waterfowl.

ps....I may have a couple of friends that may be interested in selling a camo Ulti-Mag....I have no idea what they'll ask, but I bet it's under 400.

Last edited:
short barrels do not spread the shot. long barrels are not for making tight patterns they are for swing and point-ability. once the shot is stabilized in the tube it could care less how long its in the tube. the choke at the end will be the deciding factor in pattern.

take any shotgun you can legally own and go shoot it twice. once to make sure the pattern goes where you point, next to kill a bird. its not rocket science :)

I shot an 835 Ulti-Mag for waterfowl when 3 1/2" steel loads came....They came with a 28" barrel, which was way to cumbersome....Switched to the shorter turkey barrel (24")….Way more swingable, but those 3 1/2 inchers rocked your world....Benelli then came out with the Super Black Eagle and I've been shooting them ever since.

To start, a Mossy Ulti-Mag would be a great 1st turkey gun, that will be just fine for waterfowl.

ps....I may have a couple of friends that may be interested in selling a camo Ulti-Mag....I have no idea they'll ask, but I bet it's under or around 400.

Im interested, I need to get paperwork started by this Saturday. I will DM you my contact info.

You're exactly right, Bill....Modern day guns and shells make up for any length of barrel....I believe 26" is the ideal length (balance wise)

In the old days though, before plastic wads, barrel length did make a difference....30" barrels were the norm....Supposedly. it held the shot string together longer.

Again lol
It is true all said, a longer barrel is good for balance, and swing......
But also
Thus quoted from an author

As for shot shell performance, magnum loads will achieve full power better in long barrels than short because heavy payloads (magnum charges of shot) are propelled by slower burning powders which need more barrel length to fully burn and gradually accelerate the charge. Lighter loads work well in all barrel lengths. But don’t base your choice in barrel length on that. Choose, instead, on your need for a long, smooth follow-through on passing targets or quick pointing for fast flushing targets.

"As for shot shell performance, magnum loads will achieve full power better in long barrels than short because heavy payloads (magnum charges of shot) are propelled by slower burning powders which need more barrel length to fully burn and gradually accelerate the charge. Lighter loads work well in all barrel lengths. But don’t base your choice in barrel length on that. Choose, instead, on your need for a long, smooth follow-through on passing targets or quick pointing for fast flushing targets".

Lee,

How old is that quote?....lol....Exactly what I was talking about in the old days....Pre plastic.

Lol Steve probably as old as us. Or excuse me as young as us....lol.
All I know my model 50, was a smooth and fast. And was good for those fast quick birds.
Every one's mileage will very.
I know it doesn't like small blinds.
then it's time for the short barrel. Lol

Reactions: ilovesprig
Maybe this explains why I personally like longer barrels lol
The longer barrel allows more precise pointing due to its longer sighting plane and develops greater momentum for a smoother swing. The latter helps shooters to smoothly maintain the proper lead and consistently break targets. The same principles apply to shooting waterfowl at similar distances.
An experienced shooter choosing a repeater intended for very fast shooting, such as on the skeet field, might do well with a 26 inch barrel. Such a gun will still be a couple of inches longer than a double gun with 28 inch barrels. Skeet targets require very fast shots at short range with open choked guns and so do some bird hunting situations.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu