Turkey hunting with bow

Rogerskd

Marine hunter
Feb 1, 2013
oak park
How much hard is it to take a turkey with a bow vs a shotgun I would think the bird would see you drw back and get jumpy.

I will let you know I'm going with a bow this year my back up will have a shot gun

That is the same idea I had this season to try. Just don't was to get skunked my first season ever if I can help it.

Like 10 times harder, but i dont use a pop up tent blind either so maybe thats why its so much harder for me. Few years ago I was drawn back on a big tom and because I was shaking so much from excitment, the blades of my gobbler guillotine fell out when the broadhead lossened up. That was a major LOL moment.

I've shot a couple with a bow through a blind. The nice thing about archery in a blind is if you miss or two of you are in the blind then you have a better chance at that second shot because a bow is much quieter than a shotgun so they aren't as spooked.

It is much harder. A ground blind is a big plus for turkey hunting with a bow. There is nothing wrong with getting skunked... Ever. Turkey hunting is a very challenging hunt.

I know that there is nothing wrong with getting skunked cause i still get to enjoy being out in the woods. It would just be a nice bonus to take one my first year. Is the blind that was being used a full tent one or just a little fence blind?

I'm going bow crazy I may pick a gun up if I get busted also I will have back up with firepower if a get caught on the draw

I put a descent looking decoy out at 30yds, and I don't like ground blinds because your calling sounds different. I sit on the ground against a tree and I build a 2ft tall horse shoe out of branches around me, and if I can get a tom to strut for the decoy its over. When he struts for a hen he will stand right next to her and rotate at full strut. When he turns his back to me his fan is blocking his sight and can not see me draw. So I get my 30yrd pin on him and when he turns to me I shoot him at the base of the neck. Last season One came in with 4 other birds and when I drew back they started putting, and he turned to see what was up and he never seen it coming. I killed another one last year at 30yds while he was staring right at me the whole time. As I drew back he stuck his head up and watched me as I pinned him and stuck a Grim Reaper through his head . He never even flinched. So what Im saying is don't loose your opportunity while waiting for the perfect opportunity. You want to get one with a bow, take a chance and go for as soon as you feel it. Your gonna spook some birds but you gotta try. if you take a gun with you, you may never force yourself to arrow one.

Passed up my first turkey with a bow yesterday a small jake but I had him at 23 yards at full draw for awhile

Sounds almost as exciting as hunting them with a shotgun! ;)

Finnaily back on have been off for a while looking for work. was riding out the 79 by lake cyuamaca saw a whole flock of jakes on the side of the road wish i had my bow. I need to get out there and hunt some birds has anyone had luck yet?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu