Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Winchester 1400 2 3/4 in 12 gauge

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DirtHunter

Feb 11, 2019
Anahiem
I have a Winchester 1400 12 gauge. I'm thinking of getting a Savage Stevenson M301 turkey gun in .410
Should I buy the Savage Stevenson M301 turkey gun or get a new choke and new shells for the Winchester 1400?

If you say the Winchester, which shells should I get?
Thanks for you input.

IMO...With MAYBE the exception of a youth hunter...There's absolutely no reason to shoot or try to shoot turkeys with a .410...At the moment of truth, would you really want probably the most inferior of all guns (pellet gun excepted) to kill a turkey?...Especially as hard as turkeys are to get in the 1st place.

Winchester 1400 with a plain old full choke and Federal 2 3/4" TSS #9's...Deadly

.https://apexmunition.com/collections/turkey-tss/st-12-12-gauge-2-3-4-2oz-1200-fps/

Last edited:
Reactions: DirtHunter
yes I am
I'm planning to come to the August NWTF meeting if Newsom will let us

Thanks for the links

We'll be having a meeting next week, if allowed (Grrr)...7-21-20...I have a friend that reloads TSS...Might be able to get you some 2 3/4" stuff.

IMO...With MAYBE the exception of a youth hunter...There's absolutely no reason to shoot or try to shoot turkeys with a .410...At the moment of truth, would you really want probably the most inferior of all guns (pellet gun excepted) to kill a turkey?...Especially as hard as turkeys are to get in the 1st place.

Winchester 1400 with a plain old full choke and Federal 2 3/4" TSS #9's...Deadly

.https://apexmunition.com/collections/turkey-tss/st-12-12-gauge-2-3-4-2oz-1200-fps/
Isn’t modified a full choke when shooting steel? I remember you mentioned that in my Ruddy nonsense thread.

We'll be having a meeting next week, if allowed (Grrr)...7-21-20...I have a friend that reloads TSS...Might be able to get you some 2 3/4" stuff.
My wife's birthday is the next day and we are going camping up near Kernville.

I can see if I can get the Apex mailed to my mom in Alabama, or my buddy in Nevada.
The Hevi are discontinued

Isn’t modified a full choke when shooting steel? I remember you mentioned that in my Ruddy nonsense thread.

Yes, it is...And you could shoot Hevi-Shot or TSS thru it...Just the best patterns I've experienced have been with a full choke and even more tightened choke...Remember, the TSS is normally #7 or #9's.

Every gun/choke gives a different pattern...Always best to pattern/shoot...Next years NWTF Spring Turkey Tune-Up is a good time to see what your throwing.

Reactions: Designed2Hunt

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu