Turkey success anyone?

SurfNHuntSD

Oct 1, 2013
San Diego
www.sandiegoturkey.com
Haven't seen many turkey success stories lately on here.. anyone slam a bird this fall? Just curious. I didn't see anything while I was out this season but I also wasn't really scouting much for turkey this fall.

it's funny a week before the season it was like turkey heaven near my deer stand. then the season starts they all disappeared. lol
I could have arrowed a turkey easy before the season. I seen turkey hunters scout a week before opener so maybe they busted the spots.

The birds have it marked on their calendar, when season opens they split. I kept seeing this flock of about 10 longbeards hanging out by old hwy 80 though everytime i drive out to my deer spot.. but they knew they were safe on private land there.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

same thing with deer hunting on public land, see tons & tons of deer tracks & scat everywhere then the season starts. they all head for private property or scrub brush so thick it's impossible to hunt. lol" they know", they know when to run.

I went out 2 times with no success. I had a big buck walk in, after season of course, to my turkey blind about 20 yards from me. I always see turkey during deer season and deer during turkey season!

I went out three times, saw good groups on my last two days but couldn't get within range and they didn't respond to calling.

Sent via Tapatalk

Bonejour said:
I went out three times, saw good groups on my last two days but couldn't get within range and they didn't respond to calling.

Sent via Tapatalk

The fall season Turkey's don't respond often to calls! It's the spring season that you get them more responsive

Yeah, I was just trying to bring them into range once I saw and heard them. Thought it couldn't hurt. Didn't spook them. They stopped and looked, but then continued along their way.

Sent via Tapatalk

They may be all over where y'all are at but up here they are pretty scarce this year. I have only heard of two people getting Turkeys up here in the Fresno Area. Don't worry Longbowhunter2 I wasn't asking specific spots. I'm a seasoned hunter and know better than that!

hey man no problem, but TripleJ I am sincere there is turkeys all over, but most of them are on private land. when turkey season starts they head for the hills. turkeys move around a lot.just have to be on top of it before season starts.

TripleJOutdoors said:
Don't worry Longbowhunter2 I wasn't asking specific spots. I'm a seasoned hunter and know better than that!

Not to worry TJO. I think Lee was busting my chops, not yours. He's right, turkeys are smart and hard to harvest... But fun to hunt!
To answer your question, there is a map I've seen that shows turkey habitat. In SD, you find the Merriam's in the pine forests of the Laguna Mts. I'll post the link separately.

Sent via Tapatalk

Check this link from NWTF. There should be Rios in the hills east of Fresno.
http://www.nwtf.org/conservation/bulletins/bulletin_4_9-9-09.pdf

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu