Turkey Vest / Pack

HortoTheSlayer

May 17, 2018
Boise Idaho
Any recommendations for a good Turkey vest / pack? I've seen some that have compartments for box calls and pot calls and ones that have seats...how important are these functions to you more experienced Turkey hunters? I have an Alpz hunting pack that I like and came across this Turkey pack they make.

ALPS OutdoorZ Grand Slam XL Turkey Vest
http://www.alpsoutdoorz.com/products/nwtf/hunting-vests/grand-slam

Found it for as low as $100.

Just curious to what some of you guys like to use.

Got Turkey on the brain...

Turkey fever...lol...I have a number of turkey vests including my new Alps NWTF Grand Slam...These 4 have their place depending on where I'm hunting....I got the Grand Slam with back stand because there's places in New Mexico & Utah that require long walks and carrying a turkey chair/lounger really isn't feasible...Locally, I like the wrap around waist packs...I carry the turkey lounger (great investment) and use the pack for the essential calls and such...One fanny pack has a foam cushion, one does not (always like 2 of everything....lol)….The other full (Mossy Oak) vest has a great cushion and is pretty much what I've used for the long walks and even running & gunning...It also has a place to put your turkey in the back pack (way better than carrying over your shoulder).

I can tell you...The 1st thing I look at these days is the cushion...Sitting for long periods of time can be a large part of turkey hunting...Not moving around a lot can save your bacon, when they come in silent...Again, this is where a good turkey chair is great...The Alps Grand Slam with stand is kind of a compromise.

Ps....We're raffling off 5 vests at the tune-up including an Alps.

.030.JPGIMG_7284.JPG010.JPG035.JPG

Last edited:
Turkey fever...lol...I have a number of turkey vests including my new Alps NWTF Grand Slam...These 4 have their place depending on where I'm hunting....I got the Grand Slam with back stand because there's places in New Mexico & Utah that require long walks and carrying a turkey chair really isn't feasible...Locally, I like the wrap around waist packs...I carry the turkey chair (great investment) and use the pack for the essential calls and such...One fanny pack has a foam cushion, one does not (always like 2 of everything....lol)….The other full (Mossy Oak) vest has a great cushion and is pretty much what I've used for the long walks and even running & gunning...It also has a place to put your turkey in the back pack (way better than carrying over your shoulder).

I can tell you...The 1st thing I look at these days is the cushion...Sitting for long periods of time can be a large part of turkey hunting...Not moving around a lot can save your bacon, when they come in silent...Again, this is where a good turkey chair is great...The Alps Grand Slam with stand is kind of a compromise.

Ps....We're raffling off 5 vests at the tune-up including an Alps.

.View attachment 38213View attachment 38214View attachment 38215View attachment 38216

Awesome Steve I appreciate the info! Man I cant wait! Haha but that's good to know i will take a look at them at the tune up and see what I like..who knows maybe Ill walk away with one if luck is in my favor! Oh and that a nice collection ya got!! I mentioned to my wife that "I may or may not need a new hunting pack for Turkey season..;)" she said that I can get w/e I want but that I cant question her purse purchases anymore...not sure if I should be happy or scared...

You should be happy....lol....I also have the badlands waist pack with shoulder straps....It would/will work just fine for turkey hunting....Just need to add a cushion or turkey lounger....May want to spend your money on better decoys, calls, or camo.

.turkeys 4-11-13 010.JPG

I started using a Turkey lounger last year and they are awesome. Much more comfortable for long sits and puts you in a much better position for shooting without much movememt.

I have an older cabelas Turkey vest with memory foam cushion that does well. Holds everything I need. If you can find s vest with a seat that has a hard bottom and good foam you should be golden.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Find some with good cushion (enphasis in "good cushion") because you will be sitting for long periods of time and your a... Will get sore. LOL
I bought a chair for this season. In my vest I can carry my pot call, box call, water, license, first aid stuff, food and dont forget... Toilet paper ( you never know).
It has a compartment that so far has only carried the decoys, i would love to toss a Tom in there to seehow it holds. LOL
It has a cushion that i think needs improvement. I will go to a upholsterer and ask for a high density piece of foam and change it.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Awesome Steve I appreciate the info! Man I cant wait! Haha but that's good to know i will take a look at them at the tune up and see what I like..who knows maybe Ill walk away with one if luck is in my favor! Oh and that a nice collection ya got!! I mentioned to my wife that "I may or may not need a new hunting pack for Turkey season..;)" she said that I can get w/e I want but that I cant question her purse purchases anymore...not sure if I should be happy or scared...
Your just getting started let her get the purse. You will out spend for sure:p

Your just getting started let her get the purse. You will out spend for sure:p

Haha yea but as long as she doesn't know that we're good! I appreciate all the info guys!

And I did see those chairs Steve..I liked them because they are low profile compared to some of the tripod style chairs I've seen.

Will be trying to decide between the vest and a chair or the pack with the seat. Glad I can check some stuff out at the tune up.

You should be happy....lol....I also have the badlands waist pack with shoulder straps....It would/will work just fine for turkey hunting....Just need to add a cushion or turkey lounger....May want to spend your money on better decoys, calls, or camo.

.View attachment 38218

Now when I start bringing in decoys into the house I know I'm in for an earful but we're moving into a bigger place this month so I already have my gear closet picked out but at this rate its sure to fill up fast lol I know my daughter will get a kick from them.

Reactions: Dawnandusk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu