Tuscon Jan 21-25th

SDLIVIN

Oct 26, 2018
Off hand chance right now that I might be joining my wife as she has a work trip January 21-25th to Tuscon AZ.
And then back again in Chandler AZ 3rd week in February.
She suggested I go with and hunt while she works..... well, okay, if you twist my arm, I guess.

Have not even done any research yet, but plan on spending some quality time on the AZ fish and game site tonight.
With that said, anyone have any knowledge drop for me on the area and what I should be looking to hunt as an out of stater?

As always, thanks for the info...
-Robert

Off hand chance right now that I might be joining my wife as she has a work trip January 21-25th to Tuscon AZ.
And then back again in Chandler AZ 3rd week in February.
She suggested I go with and hunt while she works..... well, okay, if you twist my arm, I guess.

Have not even done any research yet, but plan on spending some quality time on the AZ fish and game site tonight.
With that said, anyone have any knowledge drop for me on the area and what I should be looking to hunt as an out of stater?

As always, thanks for the info...
-Robert
I have hunted a lot in that area. If you are now hunting you will have a chance at a buck as the rut slows down. Lots of coyote opportunities as well.

Reactions: SDLIVIN
okay, sounds good. So far, yes to archery OTC, and will either bring the 10/22lr or the .270 (might be overkill) for yotes and fox.
reading up on the out of state nad tag/license regs now.
Thanks,
-Robert

I also hunt a lot out there. I don’t Archery hunt but the OTC tag is gold. I can tell you what I know about deer and javelina in that part of the state. That part of AZ is also a world class quail hunting destination if you’re interested. PM me for details and I’ll help you out!

I also hunt a lot out there. I don’t Archery hunt but the OTC tag is gold. I can tell you what I know about deer and javelina in that part of the state. That part of AZ is also a world class quail hunting destination if you’re interested. PM me for details and I’ll help you out!

Thanks brother, definitely will hit you up. Quail is back on the menu....

No javelina tag left I already checked

Okay, thanks, Javelina would have been a good second choice to deer, but have heard mixed reviews on the quality of meat of javelina. No first hand experience on that though.

Couple things, Don't bother with the quail unless you have a skilled pointing dog and talent as well as being able to walk all day. This area is heavily hunted late in the season by hunters who are driven out of their own local territories farther north by weather. Other thing is go visit the Safari Club International museum located there, It's an amazing collection of taxidermy

10-4 quail might be back off the menu, per snake charmer 411. SCI museum on the list.

Halfway through the 144 page AZ regs.

Non-resident License, Combo Hunt/Fish (just hunt not available for non-residents) for 1yr from time of purchase: $160
There is a short term daily combo license available @ $20.00/day for non-residents, but it does not include 'big game' animals.
Archery Deer Non permit-tag non-resident OTC, valid for 1 calendar year: $300
Legal Animal Definition Antlered means having an antler fully erupted through the skin and capable of being shed.
and appears I would be hunting Game units: 38M (immediate area around Tuscon) and possibly GMU 33 just east of Tuscon, which looks like the nearest mountain area.

I hunt AZ every year on MLK weekend, generally the rut is over but there are a few deer still running around. Best advice I could give is get up as high as you can and glass ALL day

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I hunt AZ every year on MLK weekend, generally the rut is over but there are a few deer still running around. Best advice I could give is get up as high as you can and glass ALL day

copy that. Received great advice from Kellendv over the phone. Much appreciated that.
Been spending most of my day at work researching (don't tell anyone).
Fact is, going in positive, but don't really expect to harvest anything, unless super lucky.
Expensive experience, but hopefully will be worthwhile.

Consider doing the AZ hunter safety class while you are there (or before you go). It will give you one preference point for tag draws each year.
Truduct is the most knowledgeable on this subject. So he is best to answer questions. I haven’t hunted AZ yet but my sister lives in Oro Valley (North of Tucson) so I may hunt there in the future. There are definitely thousands of quail but maybe I was seeing them out of season.

Reactions: SDLIVIN
Thanks Jason, not betting the farm on it, but will be bringing the Pelican cooler just in case....

Dan, thanks for the idea, I will look into that class. Since I have family in AZ, inlaws in Prescott, and Outlaws in Phoenix, I expect I will be out there several times per year, makes sense to invest in points.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu