Two firsts: first deer hunt, first buck!

That's a rad story dude! Congrats!

I would avoid deboning as much meat as you can. The more you debone the more meat is exposed to air and bacteria and the more you will probably lose once it gets to the butcher. I've seen it happen, that's the only reason I say that. Just FYI.

Outstanding to go that deep and stick to it. First Trip, it don't get much better than that. Took me 3 years to finally put an arrow in one.

I always debone and when I take my elk kills to the butcher Jim always tells me it looks great. And I get very little scrap back. I also put my game in plastic bags to haul out and then in the cooler everyone will tell you not to but time and time again it's red and all good and has been fresher than meat in game bags. I think air and not cool enough for extended time is the worse for spoilage.

I tried it both ways I was lucky enough at the time to kill many pigs in the spring so we were busy all the time trying different ways and thru trial and error came up with the gutless debone into a glad contractors bag then the cooler. It worked hands down as the easiest and all the meat was deep red, bloody and smelled great.

I agree on the gutless debone method- you can see videos of it on youtube. If you cut the skin up the backbone and lay the hide out, it keeps all the dirt and grass out. If you drop it into a plastic bag, as others have mentioned, the meat won't dry out, because it's not being exposed to air. I do my own "butchering", if you want to call it that. More precisely, I divide the meat up into portions, and package it for freezing. It takes some time, but it's easy, and after you've got the hang of it, it goes fairly quickly- especially if you have someone helping you wrap/tape/mark/etc.

Super cool story!!! Nothing more rewarding than your first buck and earning it the way you did is outstanding. A memory of lifetime for sure ;) hell of a job.

flecko

I done that with horses, & and donkey. it is easier on the body. glad it all worked out.
that's a great deer. congrats. you earned it.

far as the discussion about boning if it worked. you did all right.
In cool weather like in fall, After the shot I field dress the dear immediately. then I like to keep my deer intact & hang it from a tree. I skin it & let the cool air glaze the outside of the meat. then debone while it's hanging or if I have it in camp or at home I will butcher it my self. I like the bone in my meat. I use it all. Including heart, & liver.
Hanging it will keep all the dirt off it.
I save the skin & process it for leather or what ever.

Just my 2 cents

Again what a good hunt.

longbowhunter2 said:
flecko

I done that with horses, & and donkey. it is easier on the body. glad it all worked out.

In cool weather like in fall, After the shot I field dress the dear immediately. then I like to keep my deer intact & hang it from a tree. I skin it & let the cool air glaze the outside of the meat. then debone while it's hanging or if I have it in camp or at home I will butcher it my self. I like the bone in my meat. I use it all. Including heart, & liver.

Just my 2 cents

Again what a good hunt.

Thanks for the words!

Don't laugh at me, but I brought a pulley system to hoist the deer into a tree (all by myself). Needless to say, I forwent the pulleys as soon as the bees showed up and cut him up as quick as possible. Next time I'll take my time, and maybe use a space blanket to keep the dirt away...

Flecko said:
longbowhunter2 said:
flecko

Just my 2 cents

Again what a good hunt.

Thanks for the words!

Your welcome
LBH2

Don't laugh at me, but I brought a pulley system to hoist the deer into a tree (all by myself). Needless to say, I forwent the pulleys as soon as the bees showed up and cut him up as quick as possible. Next time I'll take my time, and maybe use a space blanket to keep the dirt away...

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu