Uh oh

Quote from the article...

"" “Seeing a mountain lion is rare and an encounter like this is very unusual. Visitors to parks and open space should remain vigilant when outdoors in mountain lion territory,” it said.""

It seems like it is not such a rare occurrence anymore...

Precisely. Someone is going to film a child being eaten by a mountain lion. Then the wisdom of making them illegal to hunt will be relevant.

6 adults and 4 children... and you can't keep 'em corralled together enough to be safe? #ParentalFail

• Sad
Reactions: socalhntr
I disagree with you Larry. It is not parental failure in my opinion. You go to a park to have fun and kids really enjoy being on the Outdoors. The adult had to be very close to the girl, otherwise the end of this story would've been completely different.

Now, when we go out hunting or scouting we ( most of the time) are carrying some sort of weapon with us. Hikers or mountain bikes are not. They are the ones that are more vulnerable to this attacks.
The day a hiker or biker gets severely hurt or killed we will see some reaction towards mountain lions population control.

Reactions: MAG 1
The day a hiker or biker gets severely hurt or killed we will see some reaction towards mountain lions population control.

THAT, is the true unfortunate fact...we will have to wait for something really bad to happen before population control gets (hopefully) implemented/allowed.

There was a discussion on FaceBook earlier today where someone posted a picture of a mountain lion, supposedly in Trabuco Canyon in Orange County. As the discussion progressed, of course, one of the tree huggers had to mention that "deer hunting was still allowed in the Cleveland Forest" and that it should be stopped to "Save the deer for the mountain lions". I check the DFW stats for D15 and there were 33 deer harvested in D15 for 2018 (last year I found that DFW had stats posted for). Someone else mentioned that they had seen an estimate somewhere that there were "only 30 mountain lions" in the Cleveland Forest Area of OC. As most of us are probably aware a mountain lion requires about a deer a week to survive but they also eat other things (like people's pets, livestock, and even an occasional person) so assuming these 30 lions eat a deer every other week that's 26 deer a year per lion or 780 deer a year. And these folks are worried about the 33 deer that were legally harvested in D15. :worried:

"Save the Deer for the Mountains Lions?" Grrrr those Mtn Lions in Cleveland NF do just fine lemme tell you. Probably why it is thee lowest success rate zone in the state. Ask around! Compare notes with those that go into these places. The MtnLions are doing damn fine in their numbers. Doing TOO WELL.

You're not serious...right? If so, tell me how the parent could or should have done better?
Oh come on... we see it all the time! Or at least I did. You'll be invited over to somebody elses house... and like the parents are all oblivious to what their kids are doing. I'd always be that guy who shoots out his hand at the last second and prevents their toddler kid from impaling their temple on the sharp corner of a coffee table. Stuff like that. Long story shorter, I'm just saying, in my opinion, if you've got 6 adults, together with 4 kids... and this is me presuming toddler type ages... if you let them get far enough away from you that it made a mountain lion feel confident he could snatch one and get away with it? Sorry dude, but you're failing. Again, just my opinion on it.

EDIT: Also, just for some perspective, I have a small dog +/- 23 Lbs, and a very small dog < 5 Lbs. So I'm very used to being constantly vigilent when out and about with them. Especially the little one because it adds the additional threat of raptors swooping in, into the mix. So ya have to also "keep an eye to the sky" as well. And yes... she does sometimes attract their attention and they start trying to follow ya, hanging back looking for opportunities.

Last edited:
Oh come on... we see it all the time! Or at least I did. You'll be invited over to somebody elses house... and like the parents are all oblivious to what their kids are doing. I'd always be that guy who shoots out his hand at the last second and prevents their toddler kid from impaling their temple on the sharp corner of a coffee table. Stuff like that. Long story shorter, I'm just saying, in my opinion, if you've got 6 adults, together with 4 kids... and this is me presuming toddler type ages... if you let them get far enough away from you that it made a mountain lion feel confident he could snatch one and get away with it? Sorry dude, but you're failing. Again, just my opinion on it.

EDIT: Also, just for some perspective, I have a small dog +/- 23 Lbs, and a very small dog < 5 Lbs. So I'm very used to being constantly vigilent when out and about with them. Especially the little one because it adds the additional threat of raptors swooping in, into the mix. So ya have to also "keep an eye to the sky" as well. And yes... she does sometimes attract their attention and they start trying to follow ya, hanging back looking for opportunities.

I guess I was just surprised at this type of response on a site like this. It's more of a FB response in my opinion. We don't know any of the facts, other than what is in the story, which, by the way states that the kid was 6 years old. This quote leads me to believe that the adults were right there with the kids: "“Right about when it grabbed ahold of the girl, there was an adult there that pushed the lion away into the bushes, and it ran off,” "

To each their own I guess...

Reactions: ilovesprig
Yeah, I feel ya I guess. That part that's not clear is kinda like what exactly does it mean when they say they were in a "park" ya know? Cause some state parks can be pretty much just be wild areas, that just have like maybe a few roads and trails and that's it. Where as others don't have that "feel" of being in a true bit of wilderness. And I mean, I can see how in the latter... a person could be more inclined to feel they could let their guard down. But still. I dunno man, I guess it's because I only have my one and only son, ya know? And I had to wait a log damn time in my life for him to born. So I tend to never let my guard down in that regard. Ya know? Cause I feel it's like "You had one job!" if you can feel what I'm sayin'.

most of the disappearance in State parks, & national parks are kids, they go around a corner never to be seen again. a kid needs to be tethered to your self.
it takes 5 seconds for them to disappear.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu