Ultra light Solo Tent?

Moonshine

Sep 15, 2017
Florida
Hi there!!
I have to buy a double walled backpacking tents for 3-4 season for hunting. There must be a vestibule to store the gear and it should be high enough to sit (I am 5'5 ") .I have used tents before, although easy and easy to configure, are not exactly excellent occupancy point of view.
I'm sure there are more (and better) tents, but my options are somewhat limited due to time and shipment constraints. So these are the tents I look at.
thanks

Last edited:
MSR Hubba Hubba 2. Ir's real nice and spacious for 1 person. LIke a Hotel! Though it's considered a 2-man tent.
EDIT: Sorry, I forgot you mentioned "double-walled", apologies.

Last edited:
I just got the 2p older version of the Nemo Spike. It's floorless and is pitched with trekking poles so it's super light. I really like it, have spent like 12 nights under it so far this fall. I'm really becoming a fan of the floorless idea for tents/tarps.

I have three one person tents... A MSR Hubba Hubba, a Big Agnes Fly Creek and an Outdoor Research bivy. I've learned that a side entry (MSR) is by far the best, especially if you want to sit up. Ultralight and 3/4 season don't go hand in hand. Ed F

Hi there!!
I have to buy a double walled backpacking tents for 3-4 season for hunting. There must be a vestibule to store the gear and it should be high enough to sit (I am 5'5 ") .I have used tents before, although easy and easy to configure, are not exactly excellent occupancy point of view.
I'm sure there are more (and better) tents, but my options are somewhat limited due to time and shipment constraints. So these are the tents I look at.
thanks
Take a look at the following companies. One of them should have what your looking for.

Hilleberg
Msr
Kifaru
Nemo

Look at the Luxe minipeak or hexpeak. Way cheaper than Seek.
Agreed (if you must go the tipi route). I have a seek cimarron. It's nice but definitely way overpriced, and I prefer my dome tent for the same weight.

A stove is just one more thing to hassle with when you are hunting. Nice camping novelty though. I spent a week in Idaho getting poured on every day in 30 degree temps. The stove was useless to dry anything, and just gave me more work to do when I should have been piled into my bag sleeping at night.

Now I bring an MSR Hubba Hubba 2. Before I used an REI Quarterdome. The Quarterdome is pretty darn cramped, and at night can have an issue with condensation forming on the inside and dripping down and making isht wet, depending on weather. Also being in the Quarterdome is like doing the worlds longest sit-up. No bueno. It tires out your abs, especially after wearing a heavy pack during the day.

I got the MSR 2 so that if I wanted to I could go with my kid as well. It's so nice and roomy inside! It'd probably be just barely enough for 2 grown dudes. I don't really put anything in the vestibule except Boots and Bow, sometimes I'll leave pack out there as well and just bring in Guide lid. The extra space inside is great since you don't always get it right when placing your tent in terms of slope of the ground and the extra space inside can let ya rotate your sleeping bag a lil to get more level if need be.

Last edited:
You guys that go the Tipi/Tarp/floorless route, I'm curious to know how you keep the crawling insects from getting all over you while sleeping when you use those kinda shelters? I'm asking because where I've been spending a lot of time at, there are a few larger ant species that come out at night to forage.

Reactions: JLerch
I have a MSR Hubba, Big Agnes Fly Creek and a Kuiu 2P... I like the MSR best. Reasons, side entry and I can sit up in the tent. I do not like to back in or have to turn around and nothing worse than waiting out bad weather and not being able to sit up. Big Agnes has a dual side entry with dual vestibule that I'm looking at... like I need another tent... Ed F

These 7’x4’x4’tall tents at Walmart used to cost $15 (3 years ago). Now they are closer to $30. They weigh only 2.5 lbs (and would be less without the stakes). People say they don’t breath very well but for me I just leave the zipper open some at the top.
If you are just looking for something to last two seasons then this is an option.
Also available on Amazon for $26

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
For the money the OneTigris Iron Wall with inner liner is pretty good and lightweight. The one thing I like about the Tipi style is it doesn't load up when you have some snow...I've used others that practically cave in from the weight. I'm not a fan of having no floor.. especially during summer months, my dislike may be for obvious reasons. Check out my friend Luke over at the Outdoor Gear Review show, he's got some serious experience with most tents. I'm not much into backpacking tents anymore but will say some of the tarp configurations available now are pretty good as long as you have some attachment points. I put most of my weight into sleeping gear.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu