Ultralight Rear Shooting Bag

TRICER

Dec 20, 2014
tricerusa.com
So I have been searching for an ultralight rear shooting bag and this is what I came up with. Most pre filled bags weigh 16oz minimum that’s way to heavy for me to be adding to the pack. I found these bags on Amazon for super cheap. Then I cut some 1x1 squares of open cel foam at the shop and bam I have an awesome water proof ultralight read bag. I ordered one of each size bag but it will be carrying the smaller bag in the field.
if you order the bag and stop by my shop I will give you the foam to fill it. I have a ton of scrap.

US PeaceKeeper Rear Rifle Rest,...

97F4D2BB-9BA2-4196-9273-50EA6E294823.jpeg069ABB69-EDCF-48CE-AEBD-FE26D284F1B8.jpeg46CC2AF7-B8DD-4598-BBD6-E5D027BF8C12.jpeg336FC3E5-2D05-42C6-B0C4-3073261B4DE2.jpeg94A26644-27D0-4510-A909-47441F413CDF.jpeg
8D807B37-2D6F-40D6-81D5-E24B5C0A210D.jpeg41F3228C-A680-48C1-920B-B69563D54728.jpeg

Last edited:
Drew , how hard are the foam chunks you’re using ?
I tried it today with some foam I had. Super light but the bag was to soft for my liking. 35E3E2C0-E1AF-4AAA-B030-AA5B684A350E.jpeg8691DAE4-2302-4C4C-9167-5358EF8753DC.jpeg
put the beads back in it.

Reactions: TRICER
Drew , how hard are the foam chunks you’re using ?
I tried it today with some foam I had. Super light but the bag was to soft for my liking. View attachment 43990View attachment 43991
put the beads back in it.
I have a bunch of strips of the foam at my house. I actually ripped it into smaller chunks than 1x1 and packed it tight. With it packed dense the bag seems pretty good to me. Swing by my house and grab a strip. I will leave a couple in the planter by my garage.

Reactions: Lungpopper
Do you plan on strapping it to your rifle or pack for quick access? I really like the idea but not sure if it would actually get used in the moment or if I would use the quickest thing I can (jacket, gloves, etc).

Do you plan on strapping it to your rifle or pack for quick access? I really like the idea but not sure if it would actually get used in the moment or if I would use the quickest thing I can (jacket, gloves, etc).

When you are setting up for a longer shot where a rear bag is needed you typically aren't hurried.

I will have more than likely attached for my pack with an aluminum caribener. I am bringing this along for long range over 400 yard shots. If I don’t have the time to setup for a shot that long I shouldn’t be taking the shot. Rear rifle stability is crucial in making a good shot. I am actually pretty good at using my off hand fist to stabilize but a bag is much nicer.

you can have the nicest rifle in the world but if you don’t have stability it won’t matter. I want to eliminate as much of me out of the equation and the bags help. Wind is always the X factor.

I understand the importance of rifle stability. I guess i was just weighing the options of using a jacket / pack for rear stability vs bringing another item that takes of pack space.

Front option...

I have been looking for something to fill my bag rest with as well that is ultra light I will have to keep a eye out for something similar to this. Looks like it would work great in the bag I have as well.

So I have been searching for an ultralight rear shooting bag and this is what I came up with. Most pre filled bags weigh 16oz minimum that’s way to heavy for me to be adding to the pack. I found these bags on Amazon for super cheap. Then I cut some 1x1 squares of open cel foam at the shop and bam I have an awesome water proof ultralight read bag. I ordered one of each size bag but it will be carrying the smaller bag in the field.
if you order the bag and stop by my shop I will give you the foam to fill it. I have a ton of scrap.

US PeaceKeeper Rear Rifle Rest,...

View attachment 43962View attachment 43963View attachment 43964View attachment 43965View attachment 43966
View attachment 43967View attachment 43968

@Truduct I'll take you up on the offer! Bag came in today. I'll stop by Monday, got a will call I need to pickup.

Have you shot with this yet? How was it stabilizing your gun? I am looking at buying some mini styrofoam balls for my rear bag. That is what crosstac uses in their "light weight" bags.

Have you shot with this yet? How was it stabilizing your gun? I am looking at buying some mini styrofoam balls for my rear bag. That is what crosstac uses in their "light weight" bags.

Mini styrofoam has my interest.

Mini styrofoam has my interest.

Apparently kids use them to make slime...and they are the size of a bb. Figured I would buy it to give it a try, it sure beats carrying sand / rice around.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu