unposted land

• Thread starter wackum stackum mackum
  • Start date
W

wackum stackum mackum

So what's the legalities about hunting private land that is and always been unposted or used. My favorite spot in east county is privately owned by a developer who can't build his tract homes the due to access issues. Theyve tried to sell it but for astronomical prices and no takers. Now the flat landers move in after the fires and the you can't hunt here but I can ride my horse or walk my dog mentallity has set in. Can I continue to hunt it as always or do I have to move on. I believe the law is if unposted unfenced and undeveloped your good to go. I understand Dfg would probably cite any ways but will it hold up in court.

My way of thinking has always been, if it's not posted or fenced, it's open. In Riverside Co., every piece (I've seen) of developer owned undeveloped land is fenced. Unless someone asks you to leave their private property, you should be just fine. I've had DFW and police roll up on me in questionable locations like you're speaking of and had no issues once I was able to show I was 150 out and provided the knowledge that it's not posted or fenced. Hopefully you'd get a warning before getting cited.

... it IS our responsibility to know what's private and public, and according to DFW, you have to have written permission to hunt private land. Just don't know "if the developer doesn't care/know", do you still need it? Don't know. Like I said, I'd hunt it.

I need to know where the spot is so I can give you an honest opinion. Feel free to personal message me

something i found on the internet :)

TRESPASSING: If the land you hunt on is not your
own, it belongs to someone else. Make sure you
have a legal right to be there. Contact the owner or
person who administers the property, and secure
written permission to hunt. A hunting license does
not entitle you to enter private property.
It is unlawful to enter any lands under cultivation
or enclosed by a fence, belonging to, or occupied by,
another, or to enter any uncultivated or unenclosed
lands, including lands temporarily inundated by
waters flowing outside the established banks of
a river, stream, slough, or other waterway, where
signs forbidding trespass or hunting, or both, are
displayed at intervals not less than three to the
mile along all exterior boundaries and at all roads
and trails entering those lands, for the purpose of
discharging any firearm or taking or destroying
any mammal or bird, including any waterfowl, on
those lands without having first obtained written
permission from the owner, or his or her agent, or
the person in lawful possession of, those lands.
Signs may be of any size and wording that will fairly
advise persons about to enter the land that the use
of the land is so restricted.

Good refresher Aeon. If they don't post and they don't fence, then the general person would not know it's private land. This is one of the gray areas.

I've never had to go further than to say "it's not posted and it's not fenced" to any authority.

If it IS private land, then the hikers, walkers, etc aren't allowed there either. 2 way street. Go wack'em and stack'em

I'm right on the other side of the ridge lungpoppers on. :p :p ;)

Huh some body must have pulled down the signs moved them to public right by the parking spot ???

wackum stackum mackum said:
Huh some body must have pulled down the signs moved them to public right by the parking spot ???
Wierd posted signs on public land=great hunting spot for deer or turkeys

Back