Up On the Hill

invisible man

Walk The Line
Oct 7, 2011
About 20 feet up
Got up to my spot yesterday at 4:00 and hiked in,After an hour or so I had a pair of forkies come in to 15 yards. they stood around for about 20 min,then finaly walked off.A few mins later a big doe followed by another forkie came in to the oak grove. 10 mins later they both spooked and ran back across the meadow.Then just before last light the Buck we call H.B. came through.I had him at one point at 50yrds.but he was moving through the trees pretty fast.So all I could do is watch him.He probably wrecked my season because now nothing else will do.Hes 4 on one side and 3 with a brow tine on the other.we waited for dark and hiked back up to the house.Got up this morn and went back into the oak grove,After an hour i had a new forkie come in all alone not bad, Maybe 15" wide good forks and one eye gaurd.I prob should of killed him,but its kinda early for a forkie in this neighbor hood.Ill let you guys know how tonight goes.They are fallowing the does,but not really chasing them yet.We could use another cold snap to kick it in gear.See Ya.

Nice report. I'm on the edge of my seat here. How did H.B. get his name?

H.B. = Hugh Bastard or Horney Buck???? Stay after 'em D.L.

I sat in my stand for 6 hours today, had a 15" forky come in at 1st light, had him broad side at 39 yards then he walked right under me then ranged him at 8 yards, I hope I dont regret letting him go.

Buckhunter set the bar and this buck fell a bit short.

Still a couple of forkies and does hanging out.didn't see H.B. again this week end.This place was insane from last week in Oct through Dec of last year so im hoping it repeats.im kinda kicking my self for passing on 2 nice forkies,but i don't want to burn my a-22 tag this early unless its something good.I have a d-16 tag I will prob take a forkie with,If I get another chance.We all know how that usually goes.Any ways no kill for me this week end,but thats ok.i just get off on being in there and having them walk amongst me.Oh and H.B. stands for Hartford Buck.If you remember the old Hartford Insurance commercials they always had a 190" white tail walking around.Well H.B. is So Cals equivilant to that.We thought someone got him last year with a rifle,but its good to see him alive and looking good.

I always thought the Hartford Insurance Brand was a Red stag or an elk. ??? Understand the acronym though.

NBK said:
I always thought the Hartford Insurance Brand was a Red stag or an elk. ??? Understand the acronym though.
I think there logo has a elk on it ,but I remember they had a comercial that had a big deer walking down the side walk and it goes through the door and walks through the lobby of a big corperate looking office building,and then it walks back out and is standing in parking lot like its standing gaurd over this big company.Anyways thats how he got his name.A few of the neighbors up there asked us to please show him a little mersy if we encounter him.So to me that means a clean kill.Right?

Invisible man said:
NBK said:
I think there logo has a elk on it ,but I remember they had a comercial that had a big deer walking down the side walk and it goes through the door and walks through the lobby of a big corperate looking office building,and then it walks back out and is standing in parking lot like its standing gaurd over this big company.Anyways thats how he got his name.A few of the neighbors up there asked us to please show him a little mersy if we encounter him.So to me that means a clean kill.Right?
I'm sure that's what they meant.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu