Upland game chaps/pants

NBK

Trying to be the man my dog thinks I am.
GOLD SITE SUPPORTER
Mar 8, 2011
San Diego, Ca.
What are you SCH folks wearing out in the field for quail and pheasant etc.?

I have a pair of Wrangler ATG upland pants but they aren't waterproof. They do however work good in areas with lots of prickly stuff where we hunt quail. I want something to wear for the first few hours of the hunt when in agriculture areas that will be wet from the morning dew.

John,

I wear a similar, if not the same Wrangler pant....I always thought the front of the pants were water proof or at least resident....I do spray mine with Scotch Guard.

.003.JPG

I believe mine are the same pants but blue jeans.

Not a good photo of the pants but they look like the same. They are not the lightest pants I have ever worn. I do like them.

20210920_203353.jpg

Reactions: ilovesprig
Back when my life was a little less complicated my wife turned me onto Filson tin cloth waxed chaps (remember you borrowed hers once to plant birds at a test ?) I have used them as well and found them to work well in cool temps with moisture but when it gets hot no so good . The upside with them is you can take them off easily when things dry out and use better breathing gear beneath them later in the day. I have been a big fan of Carhaart double front dungarees in scratchy terrain. I have used them in South Az to hunt Mearns quail which are notorious for in habiting scrub and cat claw patches as well as big game hunting in the west and found them worthy. Cat claw will tear normal denim up quickly as well as not offering much protection from the cat claw stickers which are like small rose thorns. You might want to walk down the street to Iron Mountain Outfitters and have P.J. show you some of the double fronts and see what you think.

Last edited:
I am looking at the single tin Filsons. I dont want anything heavy. Southern California doesn't get cold and you are on the move mainly when upland hunting.

John,

Try that Scotch Guard...Not really "waterproof", but does repel most of the wetness.

I also use these bibs....The philosophy is the same with brush....Good for those desert roosters.

.pheasant,dove,deer nov 10-14 027.JPG

I am looking at the single tin Filsons. I dont want anything heavy. Southern California doesn't get cold and you are on the move mainly when upland hunting.

John,

I may have some that will fit you....I think they're like 38x32....Super light weight with brush guard fronts.

Sounds great but 38's are a tad bit big. I wear a 34x32 and can get away with a 36.

I find that my Turtleskin gaiters take most of the punishment from thorny stuff (and keep me safe from buzzworms) while brush busting the quail, so I could really wear anything out there. That said, I'm usually in my Kuiu Pro pants during colder weather and Outdoor Research lightweight hiking pants in hot weather. Taller brush they catch for sure but haven't had a tearing issue yet.

Sounds great but 38's are a tad bit big. I wear a 34x32 and can get away with a 36.

I just checked them (Browning)....They were 36x32, but they have been altered to be bigger....I also have some other 38x33 and some 40x30 brush pants...If anyone wants them, they're yours....I also have a lot of really nice camo jackets and camo pants....Mostly 2xl Mossy Oak & Realtree, but some xl....All free to a good home.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu