Utah OTC Any Bull ALW or Spike ALW

JWilliams

Nov 15, 2016
Didn't get drawn for any hunts I thougth I would've this year so I am looking at the OTC Any Bull or Spike Only tags. Will be doing rifle the Oct 8-20. Does anyone have experience with these hunts and why you would choose one over the other? I've never hunted Utah so looking to get out and learn the country for hopefully next years anterless elk hunt. I am leaning towards the Spike tag just due to ability to hunt the LE areas.

Any advice or input would be rad.

Have you hunted and/or killed elk before?

Choose below:

1. Lots of hunters, low elk but chance at a branch antler bull.

or

2. Seeing lots more elk, less hunters, still a hard hunt, but better chance at getting a kill.

I have. I’ve hunted Colorado 1st draw 2x and have not been successful. First time just wasn’t going far enough so 2nd time I went and tried further out and had a bull at 450 yards but a guy from 780 yards shot it out from under me. He saw it from across canyon where I was on the ridge glassing below. Helped him pack out though.

Then I’ve hunted the limited opportunity in Az with my dad and helped get him a cow. I have yet to get an Elk myself though.

I think I would like to see more and get to learn their interactions and nuonces more.

I have. I’ve hunted Colorado 1st draw 2x and have not been successful. First time just wasn’t going far enough so 2nd time I went and tried further out and had a bull at 450 yards but a guy from 780 yards shot it out from under me. He saw it from across canyon where I was on the ridge glassing below. Helped him pack out though.

Then I’ve hunted the limited opportunity in Az with my dad and helped get him a cow. I have yet to get an Elk myself though.

I think I would like to see more and get to learn their interactions and nuonces more.

A spike hunt is probably more up your alley as you'll be interacting with a lot more elk and get the chance to really learn elk and elk hunting more than with the bull hunt. Get there ready to go on the opener and chase bugles, locate the heard and try and glass up a spike. The spike(s) may also be kicked out from the heard so they will respond to cow calls.

Great insight. I appreciate it. I will be most likely on my own unless a buddy wants to come glass with out there.

Plan to hike a mile-2 into drainages and fingers where I can camp for a night or 2 and try to turn up then pack out if nothing is present.

Great insight. I appreciate it. I will be most likely on my own unless a buddy wants to come glass with out there.

Plan to hike a mile-2 into drainages and fingers where I can camp for a night or 2 and try to turn up then pack out if nothing is present.

That's a solid plan. However, hunting the limited entry units does not require much (if any) packing in to get on elk. Road herds may have the spikes shot out quicker but you can also jump from the herd to herd trying to locate a spike. Call along the way, those spikes get lonely if the elk are still herded up and a bull has them pushed out.

I would greatly favor packing in if you did the Bull ALW.

I'll be doing my first CO elk hunt this year (2ns season rifle, 3-point unit). I have turkey hunted the unit so I am not going in blind.

Reactions: DoubleTrouble
Any Bull sells out quickly and you need to know where to look. Learning curve is steep. Any spike you usually can get but not a gimme to tag out. Less than 15% success I think.
I found they will hang with cows and had several chances but with them mingled in herd could not take shot. I have hunted the any spike several times and have had chances just not a clear shot. so go and enjoy. Any spike units have far more elk so you will see them just be prepared not to see a spike. Any Bull unit you might not see anything but you can always get lucky.
thats my experience and I have hunted Utah for last 8 years Non-resident. Pick a unit and learn it. if not seeing elk move to another area within that unit until you locate them. Also depending on unit do not be afraid to look lower elevations. We found a herd that not only us but everyone else was driving by. we took 2 cows out of it. Good luck

Reactions: DoubleTrouble
I've done archery bull elk / antlerless. It was OTC i just went on the website, bought the hunt fish combo license and the tag. Roughly $700. The size of bull elk was determined by the zone. My unit was spike or cow only. The unit next to me was any size. Just read the regs and call the dfg office. They were very helpful and answered all my questions. Made the drive from Nor Cal to Utah and was fortunate to come back with a cow elk. Goodluck if you head out there.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu