Venado Asado

Sep 26, 2012
Sorry, no pics- but last night my brother and I prepared venado asado (think carne asada, but made of venison- Wyoming mule deer doe- instead of beef) and Spanish rice. Marinated for 24 hours in orange juice, lime juice, lemon juice, Guinness, salt, pepper, garlic powder, cumin, cilantro, and 1 jalapeno (seeds removed).

When I got home from work, I found that I had only 1 lump and a bunch of crumbs of mesquite charcoal left, so I split a piece of oak into pieces, and cooked the meat over that. Smokey goodness!

We loaded fresh flour tortillas (they were out of fresh corn tortillas :-\) with guacamole, pico de gallo, salsa roja asada (bien picante!), sour cream, and chopped cilantro and onions, or any combination thereof.

But was it good? Well, it was good enough that we each ate three of them, and wanted more! Not a shred of meat left, and my brother did an excellent job on the rice. Definitely going on the list of "dishes to make again"!

So you're volunteering to cook for the 2014 banquet then :D?? They sound awesome!

Having a hard time envisioning it... ;D

Sounds good though.

First time I ever had venison it was carne asada style, living down here in the IV and growing up in heber I grew up on carne asada and when my brother in law sent me some deer from Oklahoma the only way I could think of cooking it was like carne asada... It was awesome and that's what made me get into deer hunting down here , this will be my 3rd year going after the bucks trying to score my own venison carne asada :D

Breacher said:
8SteelTown said:
So you're volunteering to cook for the 2014 banquet then :D?? They sound awesome!

More like voluntold. Sounds awesome!

Hmmm...I'd be willing to consider it on 2 conditions:
1. It must be local
2. You all provide the deer (or elk, or moose, or whatever)

Throw in some free raffle tickets, and that might be a done deal!

Party, how come we weren't invited? ??? the food looks outstanding!

I know I am late replying but that just looks magnificently delicious.­ I am going to give this a try for the family on Sunday. Yum, thanks for sharing!!!

Welcome to SCH MaryKJ!

Like most wild game dishes - it is important to cook the meat rare or at most medium rare.

Hmmmmmm.....Just found this, and I happen to have some moose steaks laying around at home. Might have to give it a try....... :)

El Matavenados said:
Hmmm...I'd be willing to consider it on 2 conditions:
1. It must be local
2. You all provide the deer (or elk, or moose, or whatever)

Throw in some free raffle tickets, and that might be a done deal!

SOLD!! That is a worthy investment! Those look delicious.
Thanks for sharing!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu