Venison Backstrap Appetisers

NBK

Trying to be the man my dog thinks I am.
GOLD SITE SUPPORTER
Mar 8, 2011
San Diego, Ca.
Recipe ingredients:

1 lb backstrap or tenderloin (can substitute some tender cut of meat)
Cajun seasoning (choose one less salty)
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
Thin-sliced bacon
Candied jalapenos/Cowboy Candy – 1-2 slices per chunk of venison (you can substitute pickled jalapenos, but the sweet jalapenos rock!)

Marinade:

1 cup zesty Italian dressing
½ cup Worcestershire
½ cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon sugar

Trim all fat and membrane from the meat, and cut into 1 ½ inch squares.

Prepare marinade and stir very well, let sit for about 5 minutes, and stir again very well. Letting the seasonings dissolve. Combine with venison in the smallest container possible that has a very tight-fitting lid that allows you to shake and turn while marinating (one that will not leak). Let soak for at least 1 hour or longer, the mo’ the better! I like to leave them in the fridge overnight.

Now comes the important part…pour off ALL the marinade!

Season to taste with Cajun seasoning, onion powder and garlic powder. Fight the urge to add salt, the soy and Worcestershire add lots of salt flavor! Massage the seasoning into the meat for at least 1 minute. Place 1-2 slices of sliced jalapenos on each chunk, wrap in bacon and secure with a toothpick. NOTE: You can usually cut the bacon in halves or thirds and stretch it across a chunk depending on the size of the pieces. I have also skewered these instead of using a toothpick, but it is tricky because the bacon needs to be secured around the venison to baste while cooking and keep the meat from drying out!

Grill over MEDIUM heat turning every often until rare to medium rare (no more done than that)...

NOTE: It is very easy to over-cook so be very careful, as they are small chunks!

BIG NOTE: Wait to cook until it is time to serve as they tend to dry out!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu