Venison Heart Tacos

HunterMcBuckKiller

Oct 20, 2020
Polk County, OR
I have had plenty of venison as a kid. Not recently as as life didn't give me the opportunity to get hunting until about 4 years ago and I was finally successful this year.
Made some heart tacos last night off a basic recipe I found online, and man, that was the best tasting cut of meat I have ever had, My 6 and 10 year old daughters gobbled it up!!
I filleted the heart then cut into strips, marinated it for about 3 hours in the fridge, Browned in a skillet until the moisture was gone and it turned out perfect!!!
Next year think I will use my own recipe and not accidentally drown one of my tacos in salsa and cheese.

Heart.jpgthe process.jpgthe soak.jpg
cooking heart.jpgheart cooking.jpg
tacos.jpg

I have never been an organ eater kind of guy. I think it comes from the liver and onions my mother use to make, my dad and one brother, out of five liked it. To dry for my liking plus I did not like the texture. Each to his own. I think Larry eats organs raw.

Reactions: Lungpopper
Nothing better than heart... fantastic work dude!! Only thing I'll keep and make sure to pack out is the heart.. everything else goes in everyone else's pack..LOL! Gonna do the same this Weeknd with 2 Big Elk Hearts...it's on!

I have never been an organ eater kind of guy. I think it comes from the liver and onions my mother use to make, my dad and one brother, out of five liked it. To dry for my liking plus I did not like the texture. Each to his own. I think Larry eats organs raw.
I have the liver in the fridge for the dog. Planning on making some jerky treats for her with them on the smoker this weekend.
My great great grandma used to feed us beef liver and onions, I was not a fan of that.
The heart was one of the most tender cuts I have ever had and it did not taste bad whatsoever.

I need Larry's number, maybe I can sell him some kidneys and liver next year... :joy:

Nothing better than heart... fantastic work dude!! Only thing I'll keep and make sure to pack out is the heart.. everything else goes in everyone else's pack..LOL! Gonna do the same this Weeknd with 2 Big Elk Hearts...it's on!

That is 16 lbs!!! Don't strain yourself.

Heart is by far one of the best cuts on an big game. I cooked backstrap and heart for my birthday last week.

That is 16 lbs!!! Don't strain yourself.

Heart is by far one of the best cuts on an big game. I cooked backstrap and heart for my birthday last week.
Getting exhausted just thinking about it...uggh.

I have the liver in the fridge for the dog. Planning on making some jerky treats for her with them on the smoker this weekend.
My great great grandma used to feed us beef liver and onions, I was not a fan of that.
The heart was one of the most tender cuts I have ever had and it did not taste bad whatsoever.

I need Larry's number, maybe I can sell him some kidneys and liver next year... :joy:
Larry prefers coyote liver

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu