Venison Soaked in Salted Ice Water??

Would you recommend storing venison in salted ice water for a few days?

• Yes

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters

JakeSCH

Oct 16, 2017
My good friend who has pulled off ~100 big game animals a across the US swears by storing this deboned meat in coolers of salted iced water for a few days before packaging / freezing. I have personal had several cuts of meat from him and they tasted great.

He says it pulls out a lot of the blood / gamey flavor and the water needs to be replaced a few times in those days.

Does anyone on SCH do this? I plan on trying it this year but would love to hear some other opinions?

Reactions: Ghost
I don't brine my deer meat, but I wouldn't tell you that you shouldn't. Personally I like the taste of venison as is. It's easy to do, you could just try it both ways. I've never eaten deer and thought it was "gamey," it just tastes like deer.

Venison, I eat right from the butcher.....Ducks & doves get soaked for at least 3 days.

Like I've mentioned before, If you use a Jaccard on your meat it changes the taste and texture.....Way, way better.

I wouldn't be opposed to brine some meat in the fridge but when it comes to storing it in coolers for a few days no way for me. Water and meat don't mix you want it cold and dry. Maybe if you were in a place where the weather was a perfect 36 deg for a few days then you can convince but meat in a water cooler sounds like bacteria to me.

Reactions: NBK and Ghost
different strokes for different folks.
I like aged in the fridge for a week, I like fresh right at the spot of kill. cook it up. I like soaked in brine for other folks, takes the gaminess out, makes it more tender. I like all. LOL Except sprig (Steve) needs to talk about method more I like to hear from chef.

PS: first I need to catch something, it's being a while. :(

I wouldn't be opposed to brine some meat in the fridge but when it comes to storing it in coolers for a few days no way for me. Water and meat don't mix you want it cold and dry. Maybe if you were in a place where the weather was a perfect 36 deg for a few days then you can convince but meat in a water cooler sounds like bacteria to me.

if it was cool during the day , hang the deer, skin it, let glaze in the cool air. then wrap it with deer bag. let hang for a day. then quarter , stick it in a fridge, 1 -3 days let the meat firm up,easier to cut, then butcher it. use make all the steaks, chops, ribs, stew meet , sausage, roast ect.. LOL

Tagged my G13 this morning. I placed my meat
in an iced salt brine, however I am also ordering a jaccard on Amazon. Now I just need to fill my D14 in the next week before the season ends!

Tagged my G13 this morning. I placed my meat
in an iced salt brine, however I am also ordering a jaccard on Amazon. Now I just need to fill my D14 in the next week before the season ends!
Good work. Best of luck on next tag. I an Still working on D16.

I ended up striking out in D14. I saw a spike and lots of doe. Check out this D14 2x3 my friend pulled out last Friday! He just walked up on it when moving to another area to hunt late morning! I wish I had that kind of luck.

.IMG_0119.JPG

However, I was able to practice stalking on all the doe I saw. I climbed high and spotted two doe at 700 yards, watched them bed and closed the distance to about 30 yard. Then kicked them up. That was my highlight when I went out last Saturday.

Have you guys come across hunters who get frustrated and then unload a box of ammo out in the field? I had at least two other hunters within a 1/2 mile of me do this last Saturday. What the heck? it is usually guys around my age too, extremely frustrating.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I ended up striking out in D14. I saw a spike and lots of doe. Check out this D14 2x3 my friend pulled out last Friday! He just walked up on it when moving to another area to hunt late morning! I wish I had that kind of luck.

.View attachment 33701
man that is a nice buck your friend got.. yep sometimes I think it's mostly luck and time in.

Reactions: Goyaałé
man that is a nice buck your friend got.. yep sometimes I think it's mostly luck and time in.

He got an even bigger one last year, same spot. Walked up on him from behind. I was suppose to be hunting in the spot he got that guy the day he got it but my boss asked me to work. It was hard seeing that text!

Here is a pick of my brother with this heavy dude from last year. Deer seem bigger in D14 compared to D16.

Attachments

• IMG_2393.JPG
    IMG_2393.JPG
    367.5 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: longbowhunter2

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu