Ventura County Hunting

TChotshot3

Oct 4, 2015
Hey Everyone,

I've got a question, I'm new to hunting and was wandering if anyone knows any near-by hunting spots for quail near Camarillo/Ventura area? I am also looking into getting a rifle. I've talked to a few people and I want more opinions on caliber size. Whats the caliber for hunting deer and elf?

Hey welcome. I hunt kern and ventura countys and have been for years. It sbeen hard the last few years but the upland looks not too bad so far this year you just have to walk more and find the water.

As for caliber. thats opening a huge box that has been talked to death. 243, 308, 30-30 especially with hornaday soft point ballistic tip coppers, 30-06 lots of options lots of opinions. I hunt with a 243 ar-10 or my single shot 45-70 sharps. its heavy but drops hog at 500 yards. For close in hogs less then 100 yards ive used 223 often with fine results but i hand load 63G barnes blue balistic tips they work very well.

as for hunting "elfs" i dont think they have a season but they are usually found around DEC 25th hanging around a fat man with a beard. a net will do fine they are short and slow.

GSPman said:
as for hunting "elfs" i dont think they have a season but they are usually found around DEC 25th hanging around a fat man with a beard. a net will do fine they are short and slow.

:D

HAHA Love the Elf comments! I hunt Ventura County with varied success. The most important advice I can tell you is you have to put boots on the ground. With the water situation it is getting more difficult but nothing beats good ole' fashioned scouting. PM me when you get all set up. I live in Ventura.

GSPman said:
I prefer a gaff. They'll just hop right out of the net. They taste great served with Christmas cookies and milk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks all for the welcome. I was originally looking at the .308, but after doing some research and talking to some people the 30-06 is sounding more appealing. Haha good call on the "elf" GPSman, stupid spell check! Thanks drewski2324 will do!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu