Ventura Hunting

mattpa

May 19, 2013
Hey guys new to the area of Ventura. Where are the better places in ventura and the surrounding area to look for deer pig and black bear any tips would be appreciated.

I'd be looking at the San Rafael Wilderness. Never been there but it's on my list of places to chech out for bear.

On the northern slopes of the LPNF is where you'll find deer & bear on public land. Public land pig is usually north of hwy 166 although I have seen sign east of I5 in D11. (The northern end of which is closed for the rest of 2013 due to high fire danger. Check the ANF website for the order.)

I have also heard of pig in the Cuyama valley and the Carrizo plains.

Hunting in So Cal is hard. It's hot and steep and there are a TON of road hunters. Best bet for success is get a map and then get out there and scout scout scout at least a mile from the roads and keep doing that until your shoes fall off. Eventually you will find a place where there is game that can be taken that isn't over run with other hunters.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu