Very eventful, but unsuccessful hunt!

Lumpy

Jul 26, 2012
Roseville, ca.
www.hookscalls.com
Saturday was the date we set up to take my jr. hunter out, her dad and grandfather were going to accompany us, oh and by the way she is shootin a 410!
Not long after we get our blinds set up the birds start gobbling, we had at about 10 different gobblers and a ton of hens roosted about 200 yards away.
Shortly after flydown I start lettin the birds have it with some pretty aggressive stuff and not long after a flock starts moving our way, 7 hens and 3 gobblers are on the way. The hens arrive first and surround our blinds, 2 gobblers keep their distance, but one works in with the hens and is struttin in front of my hunters blind at about 30 yards. A little far for a 410, so they made the right decision not to shoot, strike one!! Having a gobbler struttin so close and not be able shoot really hurt!!
About an hour later we get another bird gobbling and end up spotting him and 3 hens in a field, after some coaxing the gobbler came into about 45 yards, again to far to shoot, strike two!!!
About an hour or so after our second encounter we get on another bird, and again we spot him with a hen out in the same field. After more aggressive stuff he ends up leaving the hen and comes in perfectly, he ends up stopping in front of my hunters blind at 20 yards. I hear the saftey click off and I plug my ears, BOOOOMM, I see the bird trotting off, BOOM again, and the bird is still moving off, a flat clean miss!! Dang it strike three!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We ended up having to leave by 1:00, but had some great action in God's great creation, and cant wait to do it again!!!
God Bless

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu