Video cameras

wheels

Mar 1, 2011
East County, Ca
sdcvc.com
Well I have tried a GoPro and I am not happy with the outcome. The camera doesn't seem to be good for hunting you can't really see any game if it even came in. Is anyone using a camera to record any of their hunts? I was hoping the GoPro on my hat would be great. I am more happy that I didn't buy one and that I borrowed a friends to try it out.

Did anyone try the GoPro and get a better outcome?

Thanks

Check out the stealth cam by Epic.Its a bad ass little cam and it will mount to your stablizer or scope or under your barrel.My buddy uses it,and im gonna order me one. check it out.

wheels said:
Well I have tried a GoPro and I am not happy with the outcome. The camera doesn't seem to be good for hunting you can't really see any game if it even came in. Is anyone using a camera to record any of their hunts? I was hoping the GoPro on my hat would be great. I am more happy that I didn't buy one and that I borrowed a friends to try it out.

Did anyone try the GoPro and get a better outcome?

Thanks

Yeah. I was shooting 30 yards at the range with the hat cam and it looks more like 60. I have filmed deer and a coyote at 25 and 30 yards and you can’t see them. In Utah I filmed a small 3x3 under my stand and in the video you can't even see is antlers. The angle of the hat cam is cool but it needs a zoom setting. Look into others that are made for hunting. I'm going to try something new for next year.

I'm going to talk to Vince and see what camera he is using. See the stabilizer camera in the picture.

Attachments

• Vinnies local buck 2011.jpg
    Vinnies local buck 2011.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 94
I use a JVC Everio S, it's super light and compact, it holds two SD cards when one is full it will keep recording, it will mount on the same tripod as my spot scope, it has a 40X zoom. Not a bad camera for the $350 range. One more good feature is you can flip a switch and take snap shots.

Looks like Vince is using the Roscoby Bow-Mounted Video Camera. Looks good but I want something that is universal. I really liked the helmet mount on the Gopro because I can wear it on my head. Also the head mount allows you to see different views without having to move your bow/rifle.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?r=view&i=414268&aID=503AB10&cID=FROOGLE_414268

The GoPro is a great camera and is used in a million different applications, unfortunately it is a super wide angle camera and it is basically for close range situations. It is a great secondary camera to add spiciness to your movie or documentary but not to rely on it for the whole movie or trip. I definitely think is a really cool piece of gear to have as part of your filming equipment.

A good example in bow hunting application may be a GoPro mounted on a tree next to you pointing at you while shooting and your friend with a regular video camera shooting at the animal. You can talk to the GOPro while in the tree to get people exited. Edit it and you get a great professional story telling video to share with your friends. But to shoot the hole hunting with that in your hat NO WAY!

John Anderson took one of our GoPro's to a fishing trip down in La Paz Mexico and took amazing underwater and on deck material. Then added all those cool scenes to the rest of the shots from regular HD cameras.

Don't waste you money on bow mounting cameras and stuff like that because at the end of the day they will all be just part of your gear not the main camera that may ruin your trip. First buy a good small frame HD camera, then a GoPro that I believe is a really cool camera if used with some imagination. Now if you hunt by your self then yea go with the GoPro mounted on the tree and use the bow camera to film your killing shot , but the rest of the movie may be a pain in the but to shoot using your bow as camera right? you still need a regular video camera and put everything together in a easy to use video editing software.

Santiago Cohen

The GoPro is a great camera and if they could make the picture more xoomed in it would be a better camera for hunting.

Sure if you want to have pictures of yourself hunting and you in the shot then the GoPro is awesome and unmatched but if you want your game to be in that picture also and be visible then it DOESN"T work. I just did 5 stands of coyote hunting and not one would you be able to see a coyotes.

I am wanting to take the GoPro to PA with me in 2 week for my Whitetail hunt and I don't think it will do me any good. I will most likely take it. But I am bummed because I want to video my hunt mainly because it is my first out of state hunt and I want to show my boys.

Have someone else in the tree stand isn't an option.

See ya

Wheels

Of course I was just giving a general example; that is why I insist to us it as a secondary camera. You need a small frame video camera for sure and am sure there are different mounting systems out there for movie productions that will work great to adapt a small camera on your bow with auto focus and even a switch to remote control the on/off switch and zoom.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bike-Motorcycle-Handlebar-Rail-Mount-Camera-Flip-Video-Cam-Garmin-Cradle-/260868961077?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbd007335

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tripod-LANC-Remote-Control-Canon-Sony-Camcorders-/130505510880?pt=Camera_Camcorder_Remotes&hash=item1e62bc0fe0

I don't know something like that.

Take care.

SkullReaper said:
Of course I was just giving a general example; that is why I insist to us it as a secondary camera. You need a small frame video camera for sure and am sure there are different mounting systems out there for movie productions that will work great to adapt a small camera on your bow with auto focus and even a switch to remote control the on/off switch and zoom.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bike-Motorcycle-Handlebar-Rail-Mount-Camera-Flip-Video-Cam-Garmin-Cradle-/260868961077?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbd007335

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tripod-LANC-Remote-Control-Canon-Sony-Camcorders-/130505510880?pt=Camera_Camcorder_Remotes&hash=item1e62bc0fe0

I don't know something like that.

Take care.

Maybe too High Tech for most of us hunters, but I'm going to look into this. I wish the remote was wireless. Thanks for the links !

The remote can't be wireless because infrared remotes sensors are in the front of the cameras, so you can be in Disneyland and point to the camera and start shooting; they don't work from behind (only some times depending if you're indoors where signal may bounce), so the only way to shoot the animal will be to be next to him and say cheese. That is why they need the cable to work and that way you are always sure the camera is working....

SkullReaper said:
The remote can't be wireless because infrared remotes sensors are in the front of the cameras, so you can be in Disneyland and point to the camera and start shooting; they don't work from behind (only some times depending if you're indoors where signal may bounce), so the only way to shoot the animal will be to be next to him and say cheese. That is why they need the cable to work and that way you are always sure the camera is working....

Do you know how long the wire is? I use a Sony camcorder and it could work for me if it was 5-6 ft.

Here is one of the camera mounts I use, but it doesn't work in every tree setup.

Attachments

• DSC03366.JPG
    DSC03366.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 65
There are different lengths and I sure there are up to 20' as these are design for cameras mounted on a production crane were the camera operator is on the end of the crane controlling everything from there.

If you are interested I can find more info for you, they are not expensive.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu