VIDEO: Interesting Interview w/ Vietnam Era Marine Sniper

TheGDog

Nov 28, 2018
XX
Very interesting insight for those of us whom do not come from a military background.

I especially enjoyed the remarks he makes after the 44:30 mark... he makes some interesting comments in regards to a question posed to him regarding hunters.

He also makes a reference to the Discovery Channel at 45:30.

And the comment he makes at 45:44, made me say "Yes!" and I really liked the guy then.

Also his comment about not paying attention to detail! Preach Ma Brotha!

G-dog, Not sure if you know who he is and his place in history , Carlos is beyond a legend and not just some marine sniper. He invented modern sniping tactics and passed them onto the modern day peace keepers as well as performing some incredible missions by himself. Read his story if you have time and understand how extraordinary his exploits were and the contributions he made to the modern armed forces.

The moment he acknowledged were just animals ourselves.. I knew I liked this guy. Most folks have this mental block that disallows them to see themselves as pertaining to the animal kingdom.

I can only imagine the kind of shots he could make with a modern firearm. He held the record for the longest confirmed kill FOREVER. I do not think there will ever be another like him...

Reactions: ilovesprig
Yeah, probably the only reason why his records finally got broken is because of all our engagement in the Middle East. You know... in terrain types which could present with even longer, more open shot opportunities.

It's a trip pondering the fact that he made those long shots in Vietnam. While I'm sure the longer ones probably involved Rice Paddy type terrains, I'm sure there were more than a few made in Jungle/Forest terrains.

Hrmm looks like suppressors were something they were experimenting with on their rigs during the Vietnam Era. Wonder if his rig had one?

I am unaware of him ever using a suppressor on his rifle. I believe his longest shot was a .50 cal machinegun rigged with a scope. It's been at least 20 years since I read the book, so maybe someone with a more recent reading could chime in. Another good book along the same lines is Dear Mom by Joseph T. Ward.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1000 yards with a fifty browning mg with a scope is what his biography says. That was way back when technology was different, (there was no technology), no range finders, wind meters, barometric gauges or even drop tables etc..) far different than what is used now plus he had great woodcraft and stalking skills as he was country boy used to living off the land. I would say now he was known now as what we would call an instinctive hunter/shooter which in my opinion is far beyond the technology the snipers use now. He was a modern day Sargeant York in his time. He went on to coach many federal agencies and stayed active in the field until his death. I met a marine sniper years ago that came under his tutiledge while he was still around and he told me he was salt the of the earth when it came to knowing him and hanging around talking the talk.

Steve, I really enjoy the part where he licks his thumb and rubs the front sight during a community turkey shoot and shoots the head off the turkey. That's what I would call Kentuckey windage, along with how he was troubled with what he had to do along with what his beliefs had taught him as a beliver in not taking human life but having a to do the proper thing in the face of evil.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Carlos was a true Sniper. A sneaky. silent, stealthy, one shot, one target hunter.
Most of the 'record holder' guys (that you hear about) today are great marksmen and shooters.
If we have any more Hathcocks out there, you wont here about them for years, if ever.
God bless them all.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu