Vortex or Leupold

bassin_rob

Nov 7, 2016
Hey guys currently I’m running a Vortex Razor AMG 6-24x50 scope. It’s been a nice scope and I have no complaints. I’m contemplating selling it and picking up 2 Leupold VX5 scopes.
Really the main reason I’m thinking about selling it is because for the amount of money I should be able to get to the Razor I could buy two Leupold’s which from what I’ve read the VX 5 is an outstanding scope. Has anyone looked through and used both? Are they comparable as far as glass quality? I know the Vortex is FFP and the Leupolds are not. Any and all advice is appreciated!

go over to Fine Firearms and you can prolly hold both and look through them.......

why do you need a FFP scope?

I don't know nothing about anything.
But I don't let that get in the way of my opinions.
It sounds like you fell into a great deal on the Vortex. Now you're looking for 2 better suited scopes for the money.
It's ALL about what you plan to use them for. Make an honest list of what you really need from your scopes and start there.

Up date: Aeon just asked the first of many questions that need to be answered. This is the fun part!

• Haha
Reactions: bassin_rob
go over to Fine Firearms and you can prolly hold both and look through them.......

why do you need a FFP scope?
I thought I wanted to buy a one and done setup. I bought a Christensen Arms 28 Nosler and put the best of the best vortex scope on it thinking I wanted to be able to do long range hunting and be able to ply around shooting long range targets.
Now I’m thinking that I’m really not going to be shooting those insane distances at animals and the setup I have really isn’t a bench gun.
Also starting to realize Vortex is good but seems like Leupold has better glass and is more consistent with the product they put out. As far as their dials being true ECT.
Also if I can get 2 scopes of equal quality glass and dial system for the price of selling one that would be great.

Last edited:
I vote to keep the setup you have.
Why screw with it.
Buy an other rifle an the change it up. FFP doesn't matter at what power you sight it in variable power.
A SFP does matter.
Unless your not happy :)

I vote to keep the setup you have.
Why screw with it.
Buy an other rifle an the change it up. FFP doesn't matter at what power you sight it in variable power.
A SFP does matter.
Unless your not happy :)
Ya I’m Happy with it. But I don’t have a very good scope on my new 6.5 Creed. So if I can sell one scope and get 2 high quality scopes to cover both of my guns I wouldn’t mind doing that. Especially if the glass is as good.

What cartridge is the vortex on?
Which will be your primary rifle for hunting, or is one for heavy weight big game.
The Vortex Razor AMG 6-24 is on a Christensen Arms 28 nosler.
And I have a Tikka 6.5 creed with a vortex viper pst on it. The goal would be to put a VX5 on both of those rifles

ok now we got some info....

IMHO you have the wrong scope and not for the reason you think. THE AMG glass is spectacularly good. as good as any glass. Yes @NBK might punch me for that.

Its the power of your scope. 6x is way to high on the low end. Moving critters at 100 yards or less are a bitch to pick up and forget about up close and personal. There is a reason your grand dads scope was a 3x power.

the FFP part is really a product of the PRS style shooting fad that is going on right now. where you need to make quick ranging calls with your reticle. Long range shots are methodical with ranging and wind calls, adjusting turrets to hit the target. rushing a 1k yard shot will almost always result in a miss. so you have to be honest with your self about the need for a 24x power scope.

The AMG is epic glass so it's hard to say sell it.... just buy some new stuff and keep it. you can always stick it on something new :)

ok now we got some info....

IMHO you have the wrong scope and not for the reason you think. THE AMG glass is spectacularly good. as good as any glass. Yes @NBK might punch me for that.

Its the power of your scope. 6x is way to high on the low end. Moving critters at 100 yards or less are a bitch to pick up and forget about up close and personal. There is a reason your grand dads scope was a 3x power.

the FFP part is really a product of the PRS style shooting fad that is going on right now. where you need to make quick ranging calls with your reticle. Long range shots are methodical with ranging and wind calls, adjusting turrets to hit the target. rushing a 1k yard shot will almost always result in a miss. so you have to be honest with your self about the need for a 24x power scope.

The AMG is epic glass so it's hard to say sell it.... just buy some new stuff and keep it. you can always stick it on something new :)
I’ve been using a 6-24 power since I started hunting and I’ve never had an issue. Closest shot was around 50 yards and it was rushed. I totally agree it’s by no means “ideal” but not a deal breaker for me. Would you say the VX5 is comparably glass?

you need to take your scope in and try the vx5 next to it.

@NBK would be the best guy here to tell you. he has held both at the shop. I think he had the AMG on his light weight rig but i might be wrong.

Is I’ve talked to NBK a bit about the AMG. He said a lot of good things about it. Although the idea of switching to the Leupold was more of a wild idea I just thought of so haven’t talked to him about that exactly. I need to get in their and buy some Barnes bullets. When I make it in I’ll talk to him about it.

I own a VX-5 and love it. It’s more of a hunting scope not a long range scope in my opinion. As far as clarity goes Leupold glass for $1000 range is amazing. I’ve shot my friends rifle with his AMG scope and they are top of the line long range scopes. These two scopes are completely different. It depends on what you want to do and your budget. I would keep the AMG and buy a VX-5.

Reactions: bassin_rob
Why not sell the PST and add a few hundred and get the VX5 ? I think you would end up with remorse for selling the AMG. Not a good idea to trade down.
That’s not a bad idea. And I wasn’t sure if it was a trade down to be honest. From what I’ve been reading Leupolds glass is superior and their scopes are more consistent. And the 28 Nosler I have is by no means a bench gun. So if strictly as a hunting rig I could get 2 for the price of selling one. And the glass was equivalent I thought it could potentially be a good idea. But if it’s a downgrade in glass I wouldn’t do it.

The most important question to ask yourself: what is your budget?
It’s not so much a budget thing. I’m not looking to buy anything new. Or spend any extra money for that matter. This question is 100% based on me selling one scope and buying two others with that same money. Definitely not looking to spend any new money. I’m saving up for the 15 x 56 Swarovskis. So no out of pocket money will he spent in this hypothetical scenario

I think the low power of a scope is just as if not more important than the high power. 6 power in my opinion will lose you game in those oh crap there’s a buck instances. Not to mention that’s a heavy scope.
I like Leopold I am putting a LRP in my new build they only weigh 20oz.
Talk to @NBK down at fine firearms be prepared to buy a Leopold mark 5 though. He will sell you one. All the cool kids are getting them.

Reactions: Aeon and Lungpopper
If you're going to build a long range gun I'd say keep the AMG, but if you're not... I think you've already determined that it is a bit overkill for a non-long range hunting rig. I have a VX-5 3-15X44, and I think it's a great scope, but I can't comment on the AMG glass. The difference in price point tells you a lot though, I don't know if that difference in price point is due to better glass in the AMG or just features. I don't think you're going to be disappointed in a VX-5 in a hunting scenario though. I agree that a lower power in a hunting scope is nice, but I'll also be the first to tell you to do what you want. I don't know how quickly you need to make this happen, I do need to hit the range soon. You are welcome to compare side by side if you like...

Reactions: TRICER

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu