Wader info

Joe D

Jun 24, 2017
So my soon loved hunting waterfowl we have the neoprene waders and it was not hot we sweated our butts off what else is out there I'm going to take him to the opener

Waterfowl season is over what opener are you going to hunt? Get breathable waders amazon is a great place to get them if its cold just layer up.

So my soon loved hunting waterfowl we have the neoprene waders and it was not hot we sweated our butts off what else is out there I'm going to take him to the opener
And I thought I was always thinking about duck opener too early.. you've got awhile! Good news is you might find some waders on sale in the offseason, particularly the cheaper brands. I wear Cabela's breathable waders.. rarely on sale but a great investment at about $250. In hot weather I wear shorts underneath. In "cold" weather in the IV I wear jeans. Always comfy.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Joe,

You're in trouble that kid has the waterfowl bug....BAD!!! He can sit all day searching the sky's for ducks and never complains.

Get him breathables for sure or some cheap hip waters for opener/early season.

Good times!

Reactions: longduck
You know it slayer that's all he's talking about thanks for the hospitality but the mosquitos jaked him bad his hand is still swollen

Reactions: TRICER
Roger's, Frogg Toggs, LaCrosse and LL Bean make some of the best breathable waders without getting into the crazy expensive brands like Simms and Sitka. A lot of breathables are now made with insulation in the upper, you do not want that unless it's removable. Boot foot waders are the only thing I can stand to wear but if you don't mind dealing with the extra step of putting boots over them and dealing with the muddy mess, stockingfoot breathables are much cheaper. They also last longer as many issues are with the boot itself or the connection from fabric to rubber.

What you wear underneath them is also important. Wearing jeans or anything cotton doesn't allow breathables to work as well. After decades of experiment and a lot of money spent on base layers I've found light (190/200) merino wool to be the best option by far. Stays dryer than others, cooler in the heat and it's warm on late season mornings.

Aqua Seal UV is the way to go for fixing eventual leaks from pinholes or seam failure.

Mud Pigeon's response is spot on.

I would stay away from any of the breathables with the fleece inserts and things like that. Buying good quality base layers is the key and you can use them for all hunting.

I run cheap cabelas breathables here in CO and we hunt in some very cold temps at times.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Joe D
THANKS only thing that sucks is my boy is still growing so cheap is my best bet I have 2 other boys to so they can be hand me downs

Cabela's Dry Plus. They last a while. You can hunt pretty cold in them with the right clothing underneath. When Wister gets hot then you just wear shorts under them.

John

Reactions: Joe D and msailor
Joe,

All the advice Jeff (Mud Pigeon) gave you was on the money....I might add that if you watch all the different places that sell waders other than Cabela's, Bass pro, Mac's Prairie Wings, Roger's, etc. (Watch these too)….Wal-Mart, Academy Sports, and others sometimes have great close outs....The smaller sizes are many times the ones on sale....Also, throw a request here on SCH, maybe there's any hand me downs.

Even breathables with leaks can be fixed with Shoe Goo (Goop) or Flex Seal.

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu