Walther P22 .22LR

TrapLine

Feb 21, 2019
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
I was looking for a 22 pistol for dispatching trapped animals. I came across this Walther P22 @ Turners and have heard the Walther name before but never owned any of them. There were cheaper 22's there but they just had a super cheap look and feel to them. I would much rather buy a larger caliber but I think it would destroy the pelts, especially from point blank range and I think a 22 would be best for the job.

Any good or bad comments on Walther handguns?

I was researching the P22 as a possible purchase to try to get Mama more into going to the indoor Range locally.

The only negative I read was that they need to have decent loads in them to make sure the action cycles reliably. That slower speed cheapie stuff might display issues sometimes.

Reactions: TrapLine
Cool! Did you go for the FDE one? Please post up pics and your thoughts about it once you have your pickup date and some range time!

Like I said, I've been considering it as a tool to encourage the wife to come with to the range more.

I see about 25% off them come back to our store with customers wanting to send them back due to the firearm not cycling. The turn around is a few months.

That being said every customer that talks to me with this issue I send them back to the range with 22lr ammo that is going 1500fps or more
(CCI stingers) and they no longer have the issue. Another tip is to store this firearm with the slide locked back to help break in the spring. After the Walther has quite a bit of rounds through it, its not as picky about what ammo it eats.

First thing people do with these 22's is try and put the least expensive ammo through them with poor results.

YMMV

Cool! Did you go for the FDE one? Please post up pics and your thoughts about it once you have your pickup date and some range time!

Like I said, I've been considering it as a tool to encourage the wife to come with to the range more.
Yea got the one with the FDE frame and slide. I will make sure and get good ammo for it to break it in. Looking for a MOLLE holster for it I can attach to my webbing or ruck.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I have two P22s. I had failure to feed/eject issues. I joined a Walther forum and learned about the common FTF/FTE issues on there and it was mostly related to ammo. Thus, the common mods for this pistol are: 1) CCI ammo (mini mags, stinger or velocitors); 2) Volquartsen ejector (aftermarket but works way better, about $20 and easy DIY install); 3) i used a dremel (very very carefully) and sanded/polished the feed ramp so it was smoother going into the bore/chamber; and 4) smoothed out the safety pin rod

If you are going to mod that feed ramp, take a tiny (super tiny) amount off and polish it with dremel polisher and some polishing compound. I am NOT a gunsmith, so I probably didn't even take enough off to make a difference, but the polishing part is important.

The only other mod I did was I grinded down the steel rod that holds the safety. If you pull the slide back, you'll notice that this rod slides over and has friction as it goes over the hammer. Not sure if it's a design flaw or whatever, in the fire position, i used dremel to grind the exposed part of that rod somewhat flatter so it's smooth on the slide. I also took maybe 1/16th off the top corner of the hammer. Polished both surfaces. There's a lot less friction now when it cycles which further addresses the FTF/FTE issues.

And the obvious elephant in the room, why didn't I get another gun. 1) got the first one without doing my research; 2) got the second one used dirt cheap; 3) I liked the walther name and the feel of the gun. Plus, these are great little pistols now for each of my daughters to use. Now that I've spent some time with them, they fire fine. Good point made on storing them with the slide back. I'll have to do that as well, since I don't use them a lot. But with the CCI ammo, that will probably fix most issues for this pistol.

i've never tried the max distance with the pistol. i've shot 100 yards with my 10/22 with standard velocity on steel. was impressed, but probably for practical use, i'd probably only use a 22 inside of 25 yards

Old post, but I stumbled upon a used P22 for cheap years ago. Bought it for my wife to use at the range and introduce others into target shooting. Everyone who shoots it loves it.

I too had feed/jamming issues initially with Winchester and Remmington ammo. I figured it was the hollow point versus the steep ramp feeder. Switched to "cheap" 1260 FPS Federal and haven't had any issues since.

Winchester is on top, Federal on bottom.

FWIW, the fired casing that came with mine was a CCI. Maybe Walther knows something we don't....20190714_170559.jpg

Anyone have any holster suggestions? I have a leg holster for it but its little big for that pistol, maybe can adjust it more.

I watched some videos on the feed jamming but have not put a round through it yet. I did get some CCI Copper Rounds for it, stingers I think. Should get some use in November when trapping season gets into full swing. I do carry it out with me, it is really light, integrated well to my vest.

I really like the way the Walther looks and feels but I am going to make the jump and buy a Ruger Lcrx in 22 in the next 2 weeks. I need a light gun to carry and hike with. Me other handguns are too big and heavy and I want something for home that my wife and daughter can just point shoot with God forbid if an intruder makes entry.

I really like the way the Walther looks and feels but I am going to make the jump and buy a Ruger Lcrx in 22 in the next 2 weeks. I need a light gun to carry and hike with. Me other handguns are too big and heavy and I want something for home that my wife and daughter can just point shoot with God forbid if an intruder makes entry.

Get the .22 Magnum one. Won't bother your wife and daughter. And carries more than double the energy.

A little more than a .38 special (kinda in-between the standard pressure and +P loadings)

Example:
CCI Mini-Mag .22LR is 135 ft-Lbs at the muzzle.
CCI VNT 22-WMR is 322 ft-Lbs at the muzzle.

Reactions: Smokey58
Larry, thanks for the recommendation. I had been considering it in 22 WMR... it is the best way to go.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu