wanted backpacking equipment

baboltin

Jan 1, 2014
looking to start backpacking this next season and I am looking to buy some backpacking stuff. needed items .
-a pocket stove
-water filter
-sleeping pad
-sleeping bag rated 0 degrees
-one man backpack tent

I would recommend going to the REI used gear sale. Thats where I get all my gear. You can fine cheap deals on good quality stuff. They don't sell used sleeping bags anymore in California(some supid government law) but everything else I believe you could find there.

First do some research.......you should have it nailed down to the top 3-4 of what you want........go to REI and kick the tires then you'll know what you want.

So many options on water, tents, bags & pads

From personal experience, you can't go wrong with the MSR Pocket Rocket stove and the Katadyn Hiker Pro water filter.

For tents, bags and pad, I'd give them some of your own testing as what I have/ like, may not work for you.

I did a lot of research into a water filter. If you want to eliminate virus and toxic minerals, not just bacteria, you will pay a little more. First Need got really high marks in all respects. Sold at REI. if you will be in trees and want to save weight, consider taking just your fly and leaving the tent behind.

Sent via Tapatalk

You've received some very good replies so far. I will add a few things that I have used and liked:
1. Snow Peak Giga with piezo starter (pocket stove).
2. Consider your cookware carefully. I've gone through a couple versions, but for my last trip, I found a new system. You can get titanium, etc., but the best value-to-weight ration I found came from the kitchen section at WalMart. Here at the El Cajon store I found these aluminum cups that come in two sizes, and cost less than $2, if I recall correctly. The are made by IMUSA. Here's a link: http://www.walmart.com/ip/IMUSA-Aluminum-Mug/15040697 and http://www.walmart.com/ip/IMUSA-Aluminum-Mug/15040696. They don't come with lids, but you can fashion a lid out of a beer can but cutting the top and bottom off, then slicing it up the side and laying it out flat, then pinching the sides over. Stupid-looking, stupid-cheap, and stupid-LIGHT!
3. You don't have to get fancy with titanium utensils. You can get by pretty well with one of those plastic sporks, with a spoon on one end and a fork on the other. Use what works for you, but that's what I use now.
4. If you're going to an area that has clean water (like melting off the glacier), with no livestock around or people bathing/peeing in it, or mining operations nearby, you can just take a little bottle of bleach with you, and add about 10 drops per quart (I think- check first), shake well, then put some of the treated water on the threads of the bottle and cap, and let it sit for 30 minutes. Or, you can carry a pump AND treat with bleach. I prefer not to carry the extra weight.
5. Tarp shelter. I carry a tarp shelter that weighs 2lbs and change, but is large enough for 3 adults in a pinch, or two comfortably. It's really too big for my solo trips, but it's what I have. I also bring a mosquito net that I hang underneath.
6. Sleeping pad: WalMart, about $15, blue foam lumpy kind (it's a few bucks more than the other, but is more flexible), cut down to the right size.
7. Sleeping bag: Big Agnes Lost Ranger, only a 20 degree bag though.

I come from a long family history of back packing. My dad worked with dick kelty back in the 60's and wyane gregory of gregory packs in the 60's and 70's every one has there own favorite things. ive hiked many different peaks inthe us, i have some first assents on some mountains in the sierras and i always try to do things on the cheap. Find the smallest lightest and the highest quality you can afford at the time. try to buy once and have something for life. buy lexan bottles for water, 1 lexan bowl, and lexan fork and spoon set. its light cleans easily and does not absorb any bacteria. ive had mine for 20 years. get a good stove that uses multi fuel that way no mater where you are you have fuel. (also great for floods or earthquake preparedness. i cheap sleeping bag that says 20deg on it will not be comfortable at 20deg it will keep you alive. if you plan on being in less the 30 deg buy a 0deg bag. GEt the smallest tent you can get as it keeps you light and warm. make sure it has a good fly that goes low to the ground but the tent has lots of mess so in the summer you can take off the fly and stay cooler. ive used 2 season tents in the snow ith no problem. find deals on stuff and wait for sales. PM me if you have any questions i love helping people.

Thanks for the info- I'm gonna get a couple of those walmart cups. Looks like I could cook my ramen in them on my multi fuel stove.

Titanium vs aluminum comes down to price but also titanium is lighter, stronger no corrosion or health issues.

The walmart cup will do but the high end backpacking titanium sets are small and compact. Mine has a pocket rocket water tabs(back up) fuel spork cup bowl & lid all in a net sack. And it's quiet! http://m.rei.com/product/800043/snow-peak-hybrid-summit-cookset
Buy once cry once......

I use a 20 bag and it gets cold at 35 for me so I just layer up including a hat when it gets cold.

Adding bleach or iodine in water works but for me I like the taste of fresh water without that stuff plus a filter gets the dirt out & fills my bladder thru the mouth piece......for me it's all about comfort & function.

The best thing to do is GET OUT THERE you'll figure what works for you.

Don't forget REI is having their once a year sale NOW!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu