Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Well, a little over a week ago I thought we weren't going to get any honkers here in North County for the 1st time in 20+ years.....But last week-end, I saw the 1st birds from Utah on a traditional roost pond...Then Friday I saw some in a field we (Jeff, old roomie) have permission in.....Yesterday, we set-up right where we had seen them.....1st flock of 6 did the flyby and never came back.....WTF, I have the best 18 fully flocked decoys out.....The next flock out does basically the same thing, but lock and come in from behind us (we're in layouts).....They flair from behind us, but I scratch one.....Few minutes go by and the next flock does the exact same thing.....I scratch another.....From that point on, nobody came close enough.....Hey, I'll take the two.

This morning Jeff is sick and decides not to go.....I then decide to drive to the IV with Jacob.....I drive over to the field and it's completely plowed and no birds.....The other side of the field is untouched and it appeared to be a small flock in it.....Jeff decides to go this afternoon there.....Great decision.....Not only does he get his limit (3), but gets a banded bird to boot (12 years old).....Plenty of filets for the wild game feed/super bowl party now.....lol

The IV didn't disappoint either.....Jacob & I got 2 limits (all green limit for me...:yum) of ducks & 4 snows.....Now the season is over.....;)

.018.JPG 026.JPG 018.JPG 023.JPG

Way to finish strong Steve. We did ok at Barrett on Saturday. More ruddies showed up and I finished with one bufflehead, two cinnamon teal and three ruddies. Almost a limit!cc555d1b03b2a11c257496d605b61555.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
WTG Matt......People laugh at shooting ruddies, but they are sporty to hit.....Nice shooting.

Poppers for the party?

Nice finish Steve and Matt. I hunted Thursday afternoon and landed only a few GWT (no pics.. you've all seen dead teal). Saw a bit more birds that day but unfortunately I was not on the X. Others near me did well. Also got myself into a hairy situation when the 40 mph winds kicked up unexpectedly, which made for a sketchy paddle back in my canoe. Looking forward to a better season next year!

Reactions: msailor

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu