Waterfowl gun length

TJD123

Jun 3, 2013
A buddy and I had a disagreement over barrel length for waterfowl guns (semi autos). I personally shot a 26 inch barrel and like it much better than the 28inch. But he claims waterfowl guns have to be at least 28 if not 30+ to really be able to reach out and grab them. Any thoughts?

the longer barrel has almost zero effect on shot at long range. Your shot is up to speed in 21" so the extra barrel adds little in that respect. So your friend is WRONG that a long barrel is needed to deliver energy or pattern control at long range... btw that is not exactly something to strive for in waterfowl hunting :)

It's personal preference as to how long you want. Try swinging a 30"+ gun at a teal and keep up with it. For birds you tend to point at like decoying geese a long barrel can work great.

I personally like shorter barrels on lighter aluminum receiver guns, This keeps the balance of the gun better. I have killed more ducks with a 21" upland barrel on my super90 than sluester has sky busted at wister

Definitely 26" and I agree with everything Aeon is saying for the acception of him being the duck master. ;D

From what I've picked up from reading the forum, I would think that longer barrels help for pointing, but shorter barrels are better when you need to swing up quickly; pattern at any given distance depends mostly on the choke; and for reach, by far the most important variable is weight of the shot. Is that about right?

Sent via Tapatalk

I agree with Aeon and NBK, barrel length has nothing to do with pattern and energy, it has more to do with how the gun swings. I prefer a 26" for autos and pumps and 28" for break action guns except if I am shooting flushing birds at close range then I prefer a 26" on break actions. I have been messing with a 24" on an auto loader and am liking it

I hunt everything with 28" fixed modified and kill stuff with it sooo....take wha tyou want from that. ???

The balance in my hands is right with a 26" SBE (and everyone is different).........Turkey hunting I use the 24" barrel with the same gun. And would have no problem using it for waterfowl or upland.

The theory of longer barrels was created in the pre plastic wad era.......The longer barrel and full choke were needed to keep the shot string tight at the longer ranges. With the modern shells & guns, the longer barrels are no longer necessary. There are still a number of trap & sporting clays shooters that prefer the longer sight plane (30 & 32"). One difference from hunting is they start in a set position. Something that's rarely done in hunting situations.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu