Waterfowl need help

dhntr48

Oct 7, 2015
Hi guys , I' new to the hobby . Would like to know how to make reservations at Wister or Cibola for waterfowl . Who do you call . It seems to be so complicated , Bass pro couldn't help , wister said go to turners or big five . Big five sold me a bunch of green tyvek paper , some thing about wister for forty two bucks . If I find a mud hole with ducks can I hunt there ! Or are we stuck on refuge's Thanks

D,

READ THE WATERFOWL REGULATIONS.............Everything is pretty much explained in there...........I don't know what Big 5 could've sold you other than ducks stamps......And they don't add up to $42.00.....Maybe day passes or something (which are required to hunt our local wildlife areas).

Season long applications are on the DFW website. To put in for the opener (Oct. 24th). You must be in the system by Friday (pick your days for either San J or Wister).

Around the Salton Sea there's lots of "Mudholes" (just make sure it's not somebodies duck club).....You can hunt them with a hunting license, California duck stamp verification, and federal duck stamp.

Good luck

well got a duck validation 20.52$ waterfowl season long app (Qty )15app $20.10 . Now what

dhntr48 said:
well got a duck validation 20.52$ waterfowl season long app (Qty )15app $20.10 . Now what

Yep....Federal stamp....Season long pass is about $158.76, if you think you'll be hunting the areas more than 8 times..

Ya hit the post office , but had to bail . Too busy yesterday. But it seems that I did get reservations at Wister , just need to wait to see if I get drawn. And the yearly pass too , as I 'm not a one time guy . What about Cibola did they have there cut off day , Had trouble there also trying to make reservations . May be too late now . Thanks Dale

So in Inyo county , I think I could hunt the duck opener , ( public land right ?) Duck spinner OK ? Decoys no issues ? Can I use lead decoy weights ? Need the duck License and fed stamp ( signed right ?) Steel shot got that ! Blind supply's ,I'm good on that . Duck calls . Just want to make sure I got it all covered

dhntr48 said:
So in Inyo county , I think I could hunt the duck opener , ( public land right ?) Duck spinner OK ? Decoys no issues ? Can I use lead decoy weights ? Need the duck License and fed stamp ( signed right ?) Steel shot got that ! Blind supply's ,I'm good on that . Duck calls . Just want to make sure I got it all covered

Starting at the top.....

Public land is available in Inyo & Mono counties.

No spinners till after Dec 1, unless it's WIND driven.

Need State duck verification and federal stamp (signed).

Mallard decoys are a good idea in the Eastern Sierra's.....Lots of gadwalls on the opener, as well as teal & spoons.

You can use lead decoy weights (don't give the anti's any ideas.....lol)

Good luck

Reading the Regulations for ,( balance of state geese ) It reads 10 dark geese and 15 white geese for a total of 25 ? so balance of state geese should be open on public land ?

Yes, they are.......There are some special areas in the Sac Valley, BOS is open.....One of those closed areas for snows is the Imperial Valley.....No whites until Nov. 7th.

Well finally went duck hunting . Had a great time , cant wait till the next trip . Went to the Owens . We saw many ducks and geese , but had burgers for diner . There seemed to be 3 kinds of geese , and many ducks , I think we saw wood ducks. A duck flying by with fancy colors . As for geese , some white ones mostly up high groups 2 to 15, then some grey/brown ones flying low and high in flocks 2 to16 , and some black/ tiny bit of white, geese flying low mostly groups 7 to 20 (not Canada's ) Talked to some hunters there they had teals, I'm no expert . It was too much fun

Hi guys ,I had a successful draw at Wister Nov 28th # 4 . Is this good !! Even if its not good , I don't think I will sleep till then !!! Ok can you bring your own blind material ?? I think a good blind choice would be one that looks like it gets less foot traffic and is far from the driven road ?? Have to get the type A wildlife pass ! Is there spots for a small chair or could you level a spot ?? Or do we sit on the ground ? 25 shells non lead , got that . ( Can you keep extra in the car or camp ground ? ) Will I need a fire permit to cook at Wister campground ?? Any one know about the per night cost of camping there ? Can you walk Wister Friday before the hunt ( or do some scouting ) I'm sure I'll have some more ????s Looks like , my buddy And I will go May have more room in the blind .

dhntr48 said:
Hi guys ,I had a successful draw at Wister Nov 28th # 4 . Is this good !! Even if its not good , I don't think I will sleep till then !!! Ok can you bring your own blind material ?? I think a good blind choice would be one that looks like it gets less foot traffic and is far from the driven road ?? Have to get the type A wildlife pass ! Is there spots for a small chair or could you level a spot ?? Or do we sit on the ground ? 25 shells non lead , got that . ( Can you keep extra in the car or camp ground ? ) Will I need a fire permit to cook at Wister campground ?? Any one know about the per night cost of camping there ? Can you walk Wister Friday before the hunt ( or do some scouting ) I'm sure I'll have some more ????s Looks like , my buddy And I will go May have more room in the blind .

All righty......From the top.....

#4.....That is good!

Yes.....You can bring your own blind material (and should).....Arrow weed which is best is sold at the concession.

All the blinds get foot traffic....No extremely long walks at Wister.....PM me for some of the better spots.

Type A day pass......Correct

You will most likely be hunting from a dike.....Fairly flat in most places.....Bring a bucket or chair.

You can have extra shells in your vehicle......Just not in the blind.

No ground fires in the auxiliary campground......No cost.

You can NOT walk or drive inside Wister....Drivable roads are....Honker, Davis, Beale, Beach, Noffsinger, and Alcott.

Any more.................. ;D

Steve thanks so much . Your a wealth of inf ;). You know any one with experience that would like to go ? Looks like two guys so far . What's the blind limit ? How long is the year pass good for Jan 1st to the Jan 1st?

D,

You're allowed 4 adults and 2 youth hunters at Wister and a total of 4 hunters at Hazard or Union Trac (federal).

The yearly passes are good for the entire season (Oct 2th- Jan 31st).....Any wildlife area or refuge in California.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu