Waterfowl Shooting improvement

Hi Steve

No worries we got that. But needs to try any all suggestions, and see what works for him. My partner tried your suggestion and he was not comfortable . So he changed. And it was not easy. But he was more comfortable shooting left handed.
Steve your an asset to this board. And well a appreciated. But We all have our own experience. Good or bad.
God Bless.

I am right handed shooter and left eye dominant which made my first 10 rounds of trap with approximately 5 hits a mystery till I started to shoot with my left eye closed. When I did not close my left eye I saw two barrels and did not know which one to point with. You can also put a small 1/4" round of cellophane tape on your left lens of your shooting glasses lens directly in front of the pupil, I prefer the "Blink " method. Mount the gun and begin to track the bird with both eyes open, Close the left eye when the swinging barrel is near the position you feel the shot should be, when you close the left eye the barrel (only one) will be visible ahead of the target. Squeeze the trigger when the barrel is the right distance ahead of the moving target. Once you hit a target try to remember the sight picture in your head for that type of shot. Different shots will leave different shot pictures in your head. Practice with a hand thrower or at a trap range .

Lee,

Sorry, wasn't trying to disparage you comments......There is no one right answer or shooting style that is perfect for everyone......He will have to find thru suggestion, trial & error what works for him.....Hell, nothing may work.....I know guys that can't hit their a$$ with both hands......lol

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Left eye dominate, right hand shooter here and i have to close my left eye.

Also you said Mod choke. Is that a "lead mod choke"? If so you might want to open it up to improved cylinder or imp/mod. And like others said, go #3 or #4 for ducks that are in range. Good luck.

As always, all good advice. Nothing is going to help more than just plain practice. Get to a range and try everything that has been suggested and see what works for you. Hunting time is way too precious to try to figure out shooting in the blind. As you have already found out, it just leaves you frustrated and could just leave a bunch of crippled birds. I have a friend who is left eye dominant/right handed and swares by the Tom Knapp easyhit sight for all his shotguns. It's a typical fiber optic "bead" with a small tube in front of it. To see the light of the bead you have to get your cheek down properly on the gun. Only then does your right eye align properly through the tube to see the sight. The tube also has the added benefit of blocking your left eye from seeing the bead. So you still get the double vision barrels at arm length with both eyes open, but only one will have the sight on top of it. This is the one aligned with your right eye and the one you should use to pull through the target and squeeze the trigger. I think these sight are about $17. Might be worth giving it a shot.

Lee,

Sorry, wasn't trying to disparage you comments......There is no one right answer or shooting style that is perfect for everyone......He will have to find thru suggestion, trial & error what works for him.....Hell, nothing may work.....I know guys that can't hit their a$$ with both hands......lol
I absolutely agree, I have been hunting with my best bud for 20 years, he will shoot a case of shell for a hand full of dove lol

Tom,

I too use the Tom Knapp type fiber optics on most my newer Benelli's.....I like the fact I can feel subconsciously where the point of the barrel is......That's a great idea for him to put on......Wal-Mart sells a knock off for about $12.00.

The older guns just have the plain silver bead......The old Rem 11-48 has a plain barrel (no rib)......Points great and seems to kill stuff just fine........;)

Fit the gun to you first

Then pattern
Then go hunt

At home get a red Ryder get some targets stationary and moving then practice every day in the back yard this will help with the eye issue. Start out using the sights then once you have that down move onto point and shoot and make your movable targets smaller and smaller. You want to create muscle memory or hard wire your brain so it becomes automatic every time.

Practice practice & more practice

Also maybe get a lesson and have someone video your shooting

Wing shooting for me is all feel I never look at my sights I just follow the bird with my eye then when it feels right bam!

Shotgunning at ducks is so instinctive it is hard to give advice. Like someone said you point a shotgun you don't "aim" it. Leading and follow through matter. Hard for me to explain since I've been shooting shotguns since I was 8 (42 now). Still have my first 870 which I got for Xmas at age 11. Good luck brah!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu