Waterfowl

aeverett152

Oct 4, 2020
Murrieta
I would love to tag a long for a waterfowl hunt this year if anyone is willing to let me roll with them. I have a 12 gauge and have done some upland hunting. I have 0 experience with waterfowl hunting. Looks like a lot of fun. I am located in the Murrieta/Temecula area.

Reactions: 2duckhunter4
ae152,

This is the right time to be asking for help in getting into wildfowling....These days, you just can't go duck hunting...Lots of rules/regulations about shells, what species your allowed, and where you can and can not hunt, etc...Go on line and start learning your ducks (& other water/marsh birds) now...It will save you a ton of money...Ask questions here on SCH...Lots of knowledgeable waterfowlers.

There will be work parties coming up at San Jacinto Wildlife Area and hopefully Wister W.A....These will be your go to places to hunt...Learn the areas in the off season...Take a drive to San J...It's close to you in Nuevo...Make combo trips out to the IV (Imperial county)...Look for Euros, quail, and rabbits for when those seasons open (Euros year round)...You're allowed to drive both wildlife areas...Get area maps while you're there...Bring a camera.

Get involved with CWA, NWTF, or other conservation groups...Many guys that hunt here SoCal, hunt everything, including ducks & geese...NWTF has monthly meeting...Good time to ask questions.

If you live close to San Diego Co...I can help get you started...Lots of "Stuff" you're going to need...I might have extras... ;)

Good luck, Steve

ps...This picture is a good example of the different duck species...I can tell you there's 6 in this pic (not including the coots)...:blush:

IMG_0430.JPG

Thanks Steve,

I have driven through SJWA scouting for dove the week before last years. Did not see much in the way of dove. I am going to try there for quail this fall. I am also planning on taking my Beagle to IV for a possible pheasant hunt this fall.

And yes I am pretty darn close to SD County. About 45 min - 1 hour away from Lake Henshaw area. Oak Grove and Aguanga are closer areas to me.

By the way, I am going to be texting you in regards to a SD County area question

And I will check into NWTF. Heard good things about the group.

I would love to tag a long for a waterfowl hunt this year if anyone is willing to let me roll with them. I have a 12 gauge and have done some upland hunting. I have 0 experience with waterfowl hunting. Looks like a lot of fun. I am located in the Murrieta/Temecula area.
DM me your contact. I’m willing to bring you with if I catch a few draws this year.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Thanks Steve,

I have driven through SJWA scouting for dove the week before last years. Did not see much in the way of dove. I am going to try there for quail this fall. I am also planning on taking my Beagle to IV for a possible pheasant hunt this fall.

And yes I am pretty darn close to SD County. About 45 min - 1 hour away from Lake Henshaw area. Oak Grove and Aguanga are closer areas to me.

By the way, I am going to be texting you in regards to a SD County area question

And I will check into NWTF. Heard good things about the group.
Last season was my 1st at waterfowling. I almost exclusively hunted SJ. Once you tag your first bird, you'll be hooked. I have a buddy that has been letting me tag along with him and teaching me. The NWTF meetings in SD are a great group of guys. I've been going since April, and have learned a ton just by sitting there, and I drive down from LA.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu