Wet Tumbling - Finally

NBK

Trying to be the man my dog thinks I am.
GOLD SITE SUPPORTER
Mar 8, 2011
San Diego, Ca.
I finally pulled the trigger on a wet tumbler. My 27 year old Olsen vibratory tumbler is finally going to get a rest. The folks over at STM hooked me up with the perfect system for my needs. Extreme Tumblers Rebel 17 is made to last. And the basic food dehydrator is perfect.

I have some 280AI tumbling as we speak. 5 pounds of .047x.255 stainless pins, two tablespoons of Dawn dishwashing soap, a 1/4 teaspoon of lemon shine and a gallon of water.

I will post the results when I finish. The primer pockets were pretty dirty.

20200731_191121.jpg20200731_192358.jpg20200731_192320.jpg

Cool stuff. I will have my eye on this thread excited to see the result.
What was your though process on the tumbler vs an ultrasonic?

Cool stuff. I will have my eye on this thread excited to see the result.
What was your though process on the tumbler vs an ultrasonic?

The ultrasonic doesn't give you that factory shiny look. And it doesn't clean as well. I was looking ant the ultrasonic last year. Glad I waited.

Below is some brass I just used and the interior and primer pockets were dirty. The brass came out last night and it looks brand new! It is a little bit more of a process but the results are amazing.

20200801_075959.jpg20200801_075828.jpg20200801_075932.jpg

I love how clean it gets the primer pocket. There is always another toy I need to get. It’s never ending.

Reactions: NBK
I have the frankford Arsenal one and the brass looks incredible when it is finished. However I need a better way of drying them, because little bit of the dirty water left on the brass looks terrible the next day.

probably use an air compressor next time. I like the food dehydrator idea

Reactions: TRICER
Nice looking tumbler setup.

I've been using the Lyman 1200 dry for a while. Wet tumbling now with a custom made tumbler (converted treadmill). Running it with hot water and squirt of dish soap and 9mm case full of lemishine. No pins. So far pretty good but not as good in primer pockets. I'm mostly running 9mm and 223 though and not overly concerned. I did try some stainless steel chips (free from work out of the cnc lathe) They cleaned very well and fast but were too difficult to separate.

I have the Frankfort arsenal separator and didn't realize that it is recommended to keep water in the lower half when spinning the brass through. This helps wash the pins out. Will try this with pins and my rifle brass.20200227_193508.jpg

I have the frankford Arsenal one and the brass looks incredible when it is finished. However I need a better way of drying them, because little bit of the dirty water left on the brass looks terrible the next day.

probably use an air compressor next time. I like the food dehydrator idea
I use an air compressor and it worked well. Bought a food dehydrator today to make the process easier and more time efficient.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Just a heads up on wet tumbling nickel plated brass, don't run them mor than 45 minutes. The stainless media will chip off the nickel plating to the point that the water will look like it has minnow scales in it. This happened to a batch of .270 WSM nickel brass I tumbled for about an hour and 45 minutes.

I will never go back to dry tumbling again.
f75cc37b52f63b731a5aa7fc82043949.jpg

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Wet tumbling sure looks like the way to go. This batch has over 3 hours run time and it's still not ready...20201124_173319.jpg20201124_183133.jpg

Reactions: dirtriddr

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu