What 22LR ammo is best for Rabbit

longbowhunter2

Oct 16, 2013
on the mountain
OK a good question was asked . Was my ammo faulty. So I Amasking what is every one favorite 22 LR ammo. I use what ever on the shelves. Maybe I need to be more picky. Please give suggestions.

Thanks
LEE

Lee,

I use Federal copper-plated 36 gr. Hollow points..........Seems to kill 'em pretty good......... ;)

.http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CE0QFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cabelas.com%2Fproduct%2FFederal-Bulk-Long-Rifle-Ammunition-with-Dry-Storage-Box%2F735145.uts&ei=WyjfU_DTCM3ZoASu_YLgAg&usg=AFQjCNEchERwnj6eJTadSbDTM7E2TtnrTw&sig2=4UCgntlvP8-e4YDqnQgYbQ&bvm=bv.72197243,d.cGU

ilovesprig said:
Lee,

I use Federal copper-plated 36 gr. Hollow points..........Seems to kill 'em pretty good......... ;)

.http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CE0QFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cabelas.com%2Fproduct%2FFederal-Bulk-Long-Rifle-Ammunition-with-Dry-Storage-Box%2F735145.uts&ei=WyjfU_DTCM3ZoASu_YLgAg&usg=AFQjCNEchERwnj6eJTadSbDTM7E2TtnrTw&sig2=4UCgntlvP8-e4YDqnQgYbQ&bvm=bv.72197243,d.cGU

Sprig thank you for the suggestion. I will get some. Will this work in my wife's 22
LR semi Marlin.
Thanks
Lee

msteiger said:
I've been using CCI mini-mag, 36 gr CPHP. Those have seemed pretty reliable and accurate. And they're lethal.
MSsteiger thank you for the suggestion. Will try them out too.
I using my wife's kindle. Darn spell checker driving me crazy
Thanks
Lee

Lee,

I don't shoot auto loaders, but thru my bolt action .22's that seem to cycle fine. The main thing I think is that they're LR's for the Marlin.

Try the Winchester 42 grain HP. It is a heavy round that produces a muzzle velocity of 1330 and was designed for hunting. Good stuff and in stock at Fine Firearms.

NBK said:
Try the Winchester 42 grain HP. It is a heavy round that produces a muzzle velocity of 1330 and was designed for hunting. Good stuff and in stock at Fine Firearms.

NBK

I really need to go to FF and see your place. I kind of out in the boonies. so I need to take special trip to check out the scene at your place. I would like to get some these rounds to try them out. any problems with shortage?

Thanks
Lee

I love CCI Stingers. High velocity, and puts the hurt on the bunnies and squirrels. The problem is finding it! Also, because it is high velocity, some rifles can't use it.

Whatever shoots the most accurately in your rifle! :)

CCI is usually a good bet, but buy a bunch of different stuff, whatever you can get your hands on. 22s can be very picky about ammo, it can make a big difference. I've read it and experienced it personally. Trying different ammo is basically like a reloader working up a load. Gotta get a good rest, put some paper out, try it and see what it likes. Sometimes you get lucky and the gun likes cheap stuff, and sometimes you don't! ;D

My Six likes CCI Mini Mags in LR and Winchester 40gr HP in Magnum.

I have a Marlin Semi that I still haven't found ammo for that it really likes, and they are known for being pretty accurate...

Handgun said:
Whatever shoots the most accurately in your rifle! :)

CCI is usually a good bet, but buy a bunch of different stuff, whatever you can get your hands on. 22s can be very picky about ammo, it can make a big difference. I've read it and experienced it personally. Trying different ammo is basically like a reloader working up a load. Gotta get a good rest, put some paper out, try it and see what it likes. Sometimes you get lucky and the gun likes cheap stuff, and sometimes you don't! ;D

My Six likes CCI Mini Mags in LR and Winchester 40gr HP in Magnum.

I have a Marlin Semi that I still haven't found ammo for that it really likes, and they are known for being pretty accurate...

Handgun

thanks brother . I really do need to do as you say. It was really rather obvious to me last saturday.
hahahaha I missed not easy but not hard shots . thats rare for me me but probably because I don't get out enough to practice. so time to do some practice hahahaha.
by the way I may take your offer to visit you at IV before deer season starts. gets those bunnies. hahahaha I bet it's a blast there. ever try wild pheasant hunting there at the valley?

Thanks
Ghost (Lee)

Come on down, hit me up. Maybe I'll try to get with some of the farmers and hook farmers up with hunters. There are a lot of no hunting signs, but I think those are put up for bird hunting and they would love to have more people hunting rabbits. Maybe I'll post some tricks I've been learning for beating the heat too.

My grandpa was big into pheasants, always had a dog, and I went with him, but it never appealed to me a whole lot. I'm doing my best to keep the coyotes down for those that do like to hunt pheasants!

Handgun said:
Come on down, hit me up. Maybe I'll try to get with some of the farmers and hook farmers up with hunters. There are a lot of no hunting signs, but I think those are put up for bird hunting and they would love to have more people hunting rabbits. Maybe I'll post some tricks I've been learning for beating the heat too.

My grandpa was big into pheasants, always had a dog, and I went with him, but it never appealed to me a whole lot. I'm doing my best to keep the coyotes down for those that do like to hunt pheasants!

Handgun

hahahahaha ok it's a deal try to break free on a saturday morning I give ya a PM see if we can hook up. and good luck with those coyotes. I foresee many yotes in fear. hahahaha ya keeping cool is always tough I normally just hunt the morning on the hot summer days. I use lots of water and pour it over my head. to stay cool. I am sure you have better tips can not wait to see your post.

Best
Ghost (Lee)

Yeah, I don't have anything earth shattering, just drive a vehicle with good AC and freeze yourself coming in, park in the shade, rest a bit in shade as you go, and keep cold water on you. Spray bottle works good. Wear loose, light weight, light colored, breathable clothing. Be out before sunrise...

A 100 degree high day is usually decent morning and evening. When it gets up into the hundreds, it's bad.

NBK said:

NBK

seriously I took a look at the specs on line. lets talk about it. I am curious from my reading subsonic is bad for bullet accuracy. yet this bullet is known for being very accurate. & with good expansion & penetration. is this round a deadly bunny killer?
Talk to me NBK give me all the goods. hahahaha come on don't be shy.

Ghost (lee)

Handgun said:
Yeah, I don't have anything earth shattering, just drive a vehicle with good AC and freeze yourself coming in, park in the shade, rest a bit in shade as you go, and keep cold water on you. Spray bottle works good. Wear loose, light weight, light colored, breathable clothing. Be out before sunrise...

A 100 degree high day is usually decent morning and evening. When it gets up into the hundreds, it's bad.

Handgun

sounds good I will keep those tips in mind.
I like the spray bottle. yep that is a good Idea.

Take Care

Ghost (Lee)

Ghost said:
NBK said:

NBK

I really need to go to FF and see your place. I kind of out in the boonies. so I need to take special trip to check out the scene at your place. I would like to get some these rounds to try them out. any problems with shortage?

Thanks
Lee

Just for the record Lee - Fine Firearms is owned by a friend. I just manage it...

Ghost said:
NBK said:

NBK

seriously I took a look at the specs on line. lets talk about it. I am curious from my reading subsonic is bad for bullet accuracy. yet this bullet is known for being very accurate. & with good expansion & penetration. is this round a deadly bunny killer?
Talk to me NBK give me all the goods. hahahaha come on don't be shy.

Ghost (lee)

The Winchester 42 Max Ammo that is just one of those accurate rounds due to its weight and velocity. There are several Winchester rim-fire rounds that are very accurate and not expensive (Dynapoint). El Matavenados mentioned the CCI Stinger which is actually one of the most inaccurate .22 rounds (but devastating on game) But every gun is different regarding what ammo it shoots well.

I was not speaking of the 42 grain subsonic rounds made by Winchester. That is a target round. Below is what I was talking about. They are amazing game loads! You could dispatch a coyote without a problem at a reasonable distance.

Winchester 42 Max Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 42 Grain Power-Point

Attachments

• Win.jpg
    Win.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 37
  • Win1.jpg
    Win1.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 37

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu