What Backpack should I buy for coyote hunting??

Andy599

619-204-2325
Aug 26, 2012
La Mesa
So I am trying to figure out what backpack to use for hunting that would work equally for coyote /pig hunting and deer hunting. There are so many options its hard to choose, this would be for rifle hunting.

There are some really good packs out there, that's why it's so hard to choose one. Do you want to carry your gun all the time or will you want to carry it on your pack? Do you want to be able to do an over night or two with it? There is a lot to think about when buying a pack.
For most hunting something around 2,000 cubic inches with an internal frame will be big enough to stay over night and carry your boned out deer. Take a look at the Eberlystock, Blacks Creek, Badlands, Horn Hunter. There are plenty of others. They all have different features so depends on what you like.

For coyote all you need is a little 20$ jansport it's helped me kill 50+ coyotes in the past 3 years. Big game Eblerstock X2 all the way.

I use a camel back. You don't need anything real big for coyote hunting because you are moving to different stands all the time. You need something to carry water, extra calls, ammo, and lunch.

Andy599 said:
So I am trying to figure out what backpack to use for hunting that would work equally for coyote /pig hunting and deer hunting. There are so many options its hard to choose, this would be for rifle hunting.

Will you be going on day hunts? Overnighter's? How far will you be from your vehicle? Will you pack out, carry or drag the animals to your vehicle? Are you hunting alone? If you get a pig or deer, will you quarter it out or debone?

I try to ask myself what do I NEED vs. what I WANT when it comes to hunting gear. If you answer those questions you might have a better idea of what you need to get the job done.

I have a camelback right now that I use for big game day hunts and coyote hunts. I am a fan of the Eberlestock x1a1 pack. Remember a good pack will make your hunting more enjoyable and easier but a bad pack can really make your day miserable.

I don't really use a backpack for coyote/predator hunting. I have mouth calls around my neck and also my Ecaller controller hanging from the same lanyard. Electric call in one hand, decoy in pocket and rifle/shotgun over shoulder. To much junk gets in the way.

The only time I will take a small backpack is if I am hunting in one location and doing many stands. It allows me to through stuff in backpack for my walk out. But really I don't hunt one location very often.

When I hunt i like to be quick to my stand and not spend a lot of time around the truck.

I have some kind of badlands pack I'm going to get a new one. Not as big as I want also its very noisy and I can't shoot a rifle prone with it on due to the internal frame

If you want a great cheap backpack, look at the RedHead Deer Trail Day Pack ( http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Deer-Trail-Day-Packs/product/10202768/ ) at Bass Pro Shops. I've had one for years and totally love it. However, for coyotes, I would suggest going with just a small fanny pack. I got mine, a Trekker Water Bottle Fanny Pack, at Cabela's for under $20. In mine, I carry my hunting license and tags, a second magazine for my AR, wind powder, small game drag, TP, extra batteries for my E-call, small flashlight, camo gloves and headnet, my Sit 'n' Spin decoy, call lanyard (after the first stand, I wear this), water, cell phone, camera and a few trail snacks. My E-call is a Spitfire, to which I added a carrying strap so I carry that over my shoulder. I also use a support seat that clips to the carrying handle strap on the fanny pack with a D-ring clip. My AR has a sling so the only thing I actually carry in my hand is my Bog Pod shooting stick. My suggestion is to go light.

Cargo pants. I can put extra bullets, rangefinder, water and other needed things in all the pockets. Rifle goes on shoulder e caller in hand or strap over neck and sometimes use shooting sticks as walking sticks.

I'm a MR guy it can handle multi day trips with the carcass in the middle and can be made small for day hunts but that's a good pack for a few days to 10 day hunts or elk hunts.

I use the Sitka day pack if its sunup to sundown hunts or during the summer.

Stay away from cheap packs its no fun being out there when on fails. I always try to buy the best so it's a one time purchase.

So if I'm looking for a pack to take deer hunting this fall, usually going to be weekends, so needs to be from Sat morning to Sunday night. An overnight pack, but likely nothing more than that, and able to pack out a Muley... What would you guys recommend? I've just been hunting out of normal daypacks and looking to upgrade within a reasonable budget.

John_Gilmore said:
So if I'm looking for a pack to take deer hunting this fall, usually going to be weekends, so needs to be from Sat morning to Sunday night. An overnight pack, but likely nothing more than that, and able to pack out a Muley... What would you guys recommend? I've just been hunting out of normal daypacks and looking to upgrade within a reasonable budget.

Depends on how light you can go with your overnight gear. Assuming you're bringing a UL tent, some type of pad, sleeping bag, food that doesn't need a backpack stove or fuel, I'd say no less than 3500-4000 cubic inches. That will be tight too if you're successful and squeezing meat into it as well. That's boned out meat. If you're making one trip. At least from my experience....

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu