What boat?

M6hunter

Oct 15, 2013
It will be my first time out on a charter. Does anyone have a recommendation for a half day or 3/4 trip? Trying to target tuna. Also what's the preferred gear? I'm new to the ocean fishing spotlight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ely,
Check out the fish counts from fishermans landing h&m landing and seaforth landing to decide which boat to go out on. Gear wise since your just starting out I would buy a sabre rod paired with a penn jig master and a minimum of 30lb test with 40lb test being preferred. Once you get more into it I would buy higher quality gear but for now that setup would work fine. Or if you don't want to buy a whole bunch of new gear since this is your first trip out I would rent gear from the landing they will know exactly what you need. Also some of the best advice I can give you is listen to the deckhands. Usually they know what they are doing and how to fish better than anyone else on the boat besides the captain.

I second the renting and do an AM 1/2 day trip to get your feet wet. The am go for YT more so than the pm trip

I'm not a cattle boat guy (private or nothin'), but went out last summer on this boat (Dolphin) and had a really good time with Josh......1/2 day and I threw nothing but swimbaits with my heavier freshwater bass stuff........Caught a lot of fish too.

A few pix to give you an idea of what to expect.......Good luck...... ;D

Attachments

• IMG_8170.JPG
    IMG_8170.JPG
    333.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_8171.JPG
    IMG_8171.JPG
    450.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_8180.JPG
    IMG_8180.JPG
    228.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_8181.JPG
    IMG_8181.JPG
    233.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_8183.JPG
    IMG_8183.JPG
    320.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_8191.JPG
    IMG_8191.JPG
    370.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_8199.JPG
    IMG_8199.JPG
    374.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_8202.JPG
    IMG_8202.JPG
    267.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_8204.JPG
    IMG_8204.JPG
    328 KB · Views: 29
The dolphin is an ok choice but the calico fishing has been way better on the twilight trip on the new seaforth there's not as many legal calicos down there where the dolphin fishes. I went out at the start of the summer on the dolphin and caught a ton of calicos but only 5 were legal from the am and pm trips between everyone on the boat. where as the new seaforth has been getting limits lately. The dolphin has great deckhands but without going into detail on here I don't particularly like the captain.

Captain , boat and crew don't matter, it's your first time out. If I were you just go get on an AM 1/2 day boat check it out, the water is warm you will catch fish!..... Don't think to much in to it, who knows you may get Sea sick

stikbrandon said:
Captain , boat and crew don't matter, it's your first time out. If I were you just go get on an AM 1/2 day boat check it out, the water is warm you will catch fish!..... Don't think to much in to it, who knows you may get Sea sick

yep get a patch or take Dramamine the night before. if you are after Tuna it will have to be a 3/4 day boat. or longer. to get your feet wet I would suggest a 1/2 boat for starters like every one said.
if possible rent the poles. for the day. stuff for tuna can get expensive. *****warning***** deep fishing can get addictive. you will never look back.
My advice is if you do go for Tuna, as soon as someone gets a trolling jig strike, get bait on and get the line out as fast as possible. let it out as fast as possible. because the Tuna will pass near boat and some times do not stick around. if the crew does get the fish to stick around it's game on. get ready for the fight. and enjoy.

Good luck
Ghost

Don't go on the weekends if you can help it weekdays have more room.

The capt. Always matters to me but the 1/2 days fish the same spots day in and out. Now tuna on an overnighter or longer it can make or break your fishing, tuna can be more of a hunt & you need to work with the boat and other fisherman. This year it's been hit or miss on the tuna but any day on the water is nice......

Reality check. Since you are new to this I have to tell you a half day trip on tuna is about impossible. Not likely at all. Second, on your first trip you should be thrilled to get onto maybe some yellowtail. Maybe firecrackers or from what I have seen posted better this year. Renting gear is a good idea since you don't do this regularly. You rent better gear than you would buy first time out.

I would suggest a 20 lb rig and a 30lb rig. Buy some Chrome irons, some blue and white and scrambled egg jigs.

Good luck and have fun.

TonyS said:
I would suggest a 20 lb rig and a 30lb rig. Buy some Chrome irons, some blue and white and scrambled egg jigs.
If your targeting yellowtail 20lb is too light for the size of fish being caught lately near the kelp on the half day boats. Also giving a surface iron to a newbie on his first trip out is a terrible idea. In my opinion you need to learn to throw the iron on a private boat before you go out on a sport boat with it or at least don't start with it right away there is very little room for error when throwing the iron on a sport boat.

MJB said:
20 will be fine.....I catch 30lbs YT on 20 or 15 all the time
I've done it too but it's easier to use heavier line when you first starting out in my opinion

Rent a rod ! Get on ANY boat and go have some fun !!! Don't think to much in to it ! You will go home with fish

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu