• Total voters

ducky

Jul 20, 2013
el cajon
I was wondering which caliber is better for varmit hunting .17 hmr or .22 or
I have a Ruger 10/22 in 22lr
And I have a savage arms 93r17 btvs in .17 hmr
any advice will be helpful

Depends on your definition of "varmint". If you mean rabbits, squirrels, and other small rodents, then I would say .22, based on my observations. I have friends who have deadly accurate .17s, but I've also seen rabbits hit by those same guns have to be finished off with a .22 after dragging their entrails for 30 yards.

However, many people (including me) include bobcats and coyotes in their definition of "varmint", as does the San Diego County Varmint Callers club. They mainly focus on hunting coyotes as a "varmint" club. If this is the case, then I don't recommend either .22 or .17, unless you are taking only head shots. I've shot 2 coyotes with a .22 mag, full frontal chest shots on both. Both ran away to die in thicker-than-thick cover where I couldn't reach them.

I much prefer it when the animal I shoot drops dead on the spot, so I'm sticking to .223 and larger for the coyote-sized animals.

What I meant by "varmit" was squirrel rabbits and other small rodents

Would a .308win be overkill for a coyote

.308 is overkill if you want to use the fur but if you are just looking to help the local herbivore population shott them with whatever you have that will quickly kill them.

I've never had a rabbit or squirrel go more then a foot with my 17. Unless you hit it the ears or legs lol. Any where else expect a big chunk of it gone

what kind of varmit/small game could I hunt with a 20 gauge shotgun
my problem is I just got a bunch of guns from my grandpa and I don't kow what I can or cant hunt with them

Have you taken a hunter safety course? The course will help you so that you will have a better understanding of what type of guns you would use in different hunting situations. Also you will need to take the course before you will be able to buy a hunting license.

I'm with Taft on this one. I've never had any problems anchoring small game / varmints with my .17. It has superior KE and balistic performance over a 22 LR.

Lungpopper said:
Have you taken a hunter safety course? The course will help you so that you will have a better understanding of what type of guns you would use in different hunting situations. Also you will need to take the course before you will be able to buy a hunting license.

+1. Doug from Doug's Wilderness Adventures has classes every so often in Descanso. My dad, brother, mom, sister in law, cousins, all went there and loved it. Very helpful and very knowledgeable guy. Tell your pops to set it up and you both can go!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu