What do you guys prefer?

Sdbirds

You can't kill it from your couch.
Jul 9, 2012
El Cajon
In the market for spotting scope. What do you guys use what do you guys like? Angled or straight? Say my price point is 700 I'm willing to go higher willing to go lower

Road hunting or backcountry size can be an issue......Minox 50 for when I need to go lite and at 200 can't beat that for a 16-30x

This is a good deal and good glass http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex.pl?page=vortexviperhd20-60x80

But I like Ziess if you have the cash.....

TaftHunter said:
I'm a straight guy
Good to know, so now you won't get any propositions from the Not so straight guys here LoL

Ps; You gotta admit it was kinda set ur self up for this one lol...

JaySoCal said:
TaftHunter said:
I'm a straight guy
Good to know, so now you won't get any propositions from the Not so straight guys here LoL

Hahah yeah I knew someone would say something

TaftHunter said:
JaySoCal said:
TaftHunter said:
I'm a straight guy

I thought he was asking you out without being to forward

Bushnell Elite...straight. ;)

http://www.bushnell.com/hunting/spotting-scopes/elite/elite-15-45x-60mm

Best of all for us who hike in: Weight: 26.5 oz

If you are glassing from a low position up high above you I would say angled. You will get more out of a straight scope being able to glass all high or low and target an object faster. Straight

Also if you wear bifocals or progressive lenses, and/or have neck problems, getting into position to view a straight scope can cause neck fatigue. Straight is great on a window mount if you scope from your truck. Just some specific thoughts on straight vs angled.

Lungpopper said:
Don't forget the tripod. Spotters no good without a steady rest.
Ya, and how you use it. The really high quality rigid ones have that solid head and base so they can be extended fully in wind without too much vibration. That keeps you more comfortable, especially if you're using a straight scope. On the other hand they can be heavy to carry on your back. I have a Slik u6000 which is nice and light, but I can't extend it to full height in a stiff breeze without it resonating, even with my (relatively) lightweight Bushnell Elite Tactical scope. So I sit down while spotting or put the tripod on a large rock to raise it to my eye level.
For a good discussion of instrument (in this case scope) weight vs tripod base and head quality, check this link;
http://www.opticsplanet.com/howto/how-to-choose-the-best-tripod.html
As an example, I originally bought my Slik for camera use. I can make it work with my spotter, which is a lot heavier and needs much better support than a camera, but a tripod designed for heavier equipment and higher mag would make a noticeable difference.

Sdbirds said:
TaftHunter said:
JaySoCal said:
TaftHunter said:
I'm a straight guy

I thought he was asking you out without being to forward

Oh No SDbirds.. Im a straight forward kind of guy LoL

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu