What is up with wasting pig meat paid by the state

NBK said:
JaySoCal said:
NBK said:
Pigs have been the number on big game animal in California for some time now. True fact...

Really mmm thats interesting.. Where could i read the number on that? im curious to see just how many tags are actually sold.

Somewhere I read that pigs had become the most popular big game animal in California. So when you challenged it I went into research mode as I needed to know the "true fact".

I was incorrect. Deer still leads the pack. But the trend does track with pigs becoming more popular in the future. Deer tags are on a decline year over year and pig tags continue to increase in sales popularity year over year.

Below are the statistics for California and its big game animals by tags sold.

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=59821&inline=1

Below are the statistics for California and its big game animals by revenue generated

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=59822&inline=1

Thank you NBK i appreciate the fact that U actually provided the links to the info, which i actually did want to read I was interested in seeing just how many of them are being sold.. and i want to point out that my point was never about who was wrong or right. but rather to see the numbers..

and Just for a reference for whoever might be interested in the amount of deer tags being offered the Total Tag quota for 2014 was 204,065 Including the military Only tags..

Tag quota and tags sold are two different things. As of 10/17/2014 8:49 AM this morning there were still 96,748 available tags for sale. This means that only 107,317 deer tags were sold in 2014. Which is 57% more deer tags than pig tags sold.

Interesting nonetheless...

NBK said:
Tag quota and tags sold are two different things. As of 10/17/2014 8:49 AM this morning there were still 96,748 available tags for sale. This means that only 107,317 deer tags were sold in 2014. Which is 57% more deer tags than pig tags sold.

Interesting nonetheless...

Yes of course.. But the pig tags have no quota and yet still they never come close to the deer.
the Reason i used the tag quota numbers for deer is to illustrate that as i mentioned Deer is the Big money maker for them..

Wild pig $310,645

Deer $ 3,185,749 wild pig doesn't even amount to 10% of the money deer brought in so far.. But maybe just that number will go up once deer season is over and everyone is still itching to kill a large animal for the rest of hunting season..

2014 data is incomplete and still being compiled, so 2013 needs to be the reference point for apples to apples data (pig tags produce revenue 365 days a year and deer only 4-5 months. 2014 still has 2.5 months left.

It's actually 23% not 10% in comparison and it is not a fair comparison because deer tags are more expensive and the expense doesn't relate to popularity.

First deer tag is $30.81 or 28% more expensive than a pig tag
Second deer tag is $38.06 or 42% more expensive than a pig tag
Pig tags are $22.17

But yes, overall revenue is greater from deer.

2013 -

Pig revenue = $1,148,284 or 4.6% of total revenue generated

Deer revenue = $5,014,571 or 19.9% of total revenue generated

Total 2013 revenue generated from tags and licenses was $25,253,708. Hunters are spending some dough for sure

NBK said:
2014 data is incomplete and still being compiled, so 2013 needs to be the reference point for apples to apples data (pig tags produce revenue 365 days a year and deer only 4-5 months. 2014 still has 2.5 months left.

It's actually 23% not 10% in comparison and it is not a fair comparison because deer tags are more expensive and the expense doesn't relate to popularity.

First deer tag is $30.81 or 28% more expensive than a pig tag
Second deer tag is $38.06 or 42% more expensive than a pig tag
Pig tags are $22.17

But yes, overall revenue is greater from deer.

2013 -

Pig revenue = $1,148,284 or 4.6% of total revenue generated

Deer revenue = $5,014,571 or 19.9% of total revenue generated

Total 2013 revenue generated from tags and licenses was $25,253,708. Hunters are spending some dough for sure

Well long time away and im finally back here today..

Well several of your points are a bit off to my post.. I highlighted and Underline some of them..

if you notice ur number don't match the ones i posted Because i posted the 2014 numbers to the date when i posted them..
as of November 04
2014 Deer = 4,750,745
2014 Pigs = 551,816
I think it will be interesting to see how much more this number change in the coming months..
Per my October 17 post
Deer $ 3,185,749
Wild pig $310,645

So as u can see both of them have gone up quite a bit BUT the main difference is the AMOUNT of money being generated by each which was MY Original point when I said..
JaySoCal said:
Yes of course.. But the pig tags have no quota and yet still they never come close to the deer.
the Reason i used the tag quota numbers for deer is to illustrate that as i mentioned Deer is the Big money maker for them..

Second a feel like ur kind of mixing and matching ur points to sort of fit ur needs.. My original point was the
Deer bring in the Big Buck$..
Second i challenged the idea that pig tags sold more then Deer tags and Both of those points prove to be correct, While i admittedly DIDN'T have the number in had to back up MY idea and point.. Now i feel that ur sort of steering this whole thing into a different direction by saying that the pig tags are not as expensive as the deer.. Yes your right about that BUT thats besides the point is what im trying to say.. Cause we could say that bear tags are actually more expensive the deer yet they NEVER even come close to deer either..

I hope You and every one can see I am NOT trying to pick at you nor trying to make u look bad at all, Im just trying to get my point across i been around the net for quite a while now and i have learned that when ur reading something its sometimes difficult to discern the difference, because we cannot see the expression in the person making the point nor are we able to hear the tone in there voice to be able to tell if there just being an asshole or just saying something we might not agree with..

I again thank you NBK for providing the link to those number i want to keep an eye on them and see how much they change and YOU are very much right in post "Hunters are spending some REAL dough for sure" i feel we should get much more respect from the Gov agencies especially those who actually depend on us for their paychecks.

Yep...things are easily taken out of context.

It's all good - this place is for fun and to read opinions of others. I have learned a lot here for sure. So no worries. And glad you're back.

NBK said:
Yep...things are easily taken out of context.

It's all good - this place is for fun and to read opinions of others. I have learned a lot here for sure. So no worries. And glad you're back.

Thanks and glad to see u got urself a beauty of a buck in that other thread..

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu