What is up with wasting pig meat paid by the state

Sdbirds

You can't kill it from your couch.
Jul 9, 2012
El Cajon
Before I get into this it's word of mouth. My friend knows a guy being payed to get rid of our sd pigs. Apparently they trap or kill them and are not aloud to keep the meat. I know someone else that found a abandond trap with a buch of skulls with single guns shots to the head and the bodies left.

How is this ok

Is it true

Time to break some traps??

Heard the same thing. Trapped, shot, blood sample taken, left to rot. Supposedly if pigs are killed on private land its the land owners discretion as to what happens to them, whether the trappers take them or leave them. Strange isnt it? The whole "invasive specie eradication" thing confuses me at times. I've been told by biologists that mount laguna used to be an all oak forest and that the pines are invasive. Why not cut down all pines? I was also told turkey's are not native. Why not hire professional trappers to eradicate turkey's? There are strange decisions being made that are mucho fubar goin on.

Mesmashy said:
Heard the same thing. Trapped, shot, blood sample taken, left to rot. Supposedly if pigs are killed on private land its the land owners discretion as to what happens to them, whether the trappers take them or leave them. Strange isnt it? The whole "invasive specie eradication" thing confuses me at times. I've been told by biologists that mount laguna used to be an all oak forest and that the pines are invasive. Why not cut down all pines? I was also told turkey's are not native. Why not hire professional trappers to eradicate turkey's? There are strange decisions being made that are mucho fubar goin on.

Well its all about how much money an "invasive" species brings into the state then if it brings the big bucks then, Hell no we just sell tags for them and keep raking in the cash.. on the other hand if it kills off our many makers then Oh no its open season on them.. bureaucracy at its best..

JaySoCal said:
Mesmashy said:
Well its all about how much money an "invasive" species brings into the state then if it brings the big bucks then, Hell no we just sell tags for them and keep raking in the cash.. on the other hand if it kills off our many makers then Oh no its open season on them.. bureaucracy at its best..

Id say pigs bring quite a bit of money. They surpass the deer in big game tags purchased in California. Plus some people are straight killers shooting way more than two year. Also most people I know that got in the hunting in recent years did it because of pigs. I feel like everybody thinks they're easy to get around here. According to the news they're everywhere

Run into a lot of hunters these days out in the field that are looking for pigs. I ran into 3 one day walking back to my jeep. They were walking on the side of the road looking for tracks. When I asked them who told them about pigs here, he said "game warden" did. Lol these dudes were from Orange County and one of them as wearing colgne. LOL you say pig and it brings them in

Sdbirds said:
Who has time someone call Turco files
Haha could u imagine that Turco guy showing up at DFW. All seriousness though that sucks if its true. Don't other states have meat donation programs for roadkill deer and illegal takes? We're in CA though so I bet there's some law against it already.

If there is such a big problem with pig population why doesn't the state just allow us hunters to harvest them with just a license instead of charging money for one tag at a time? (Unless I have it wrong)

Now rumor has it, i could be mistaken. But i heard that pig hunting might become a stamp or whatever, similar to an upland game stamp. Hope i didnt just jinx it, i know dfg or dfw whatever they call themselves this year, monitor this stuff carefully. But a stamp would be cool, more hunters might buy stamps opposed to tags.

Mesmashy said:
Now rumor has it, i could be mistaken. But i heard that pig hunting might become a stamp or whatever, similar to an upland game stamp. Hope i didnt just jinx it, i know dfg or dfw whatever they call themselves this year, monitor this stuff carefully. But a stamp would be cool, more hunters might buy stamps opposed to tags.

1st I've heard of this rumor......The pig problem has never really materialized like the "Experts" were predicting. 33 pigs were killed after being trapped on VID land near Lake Henshaw. It was determined by most, that these pigs may not have come from the pigs released at El Capitan Reservation near the San Diego River. I get reports when they were spotted. I have not had a report in over a year here in north county. And even those reports were ones & twos (one report of 3).

The last meeting I was in was to allow guns in county parks to shoot pigs that had started showing up in the Lake Morena area. The vote to allow "Professional" hunters kill them was disappointing. But it is what it is.

The guess is that lions have kept them down from the explosion that so many predicted. There's also been a number of them shot. I'd be surprised if they ever take hold here, despite perfect habitat.

SoCalHunter27 said:
If there is such a big problem with pig population why doesn't the state just allow us hunters to harvest them with just a license instead of charging money for one tag at a time? (Unless I have it wrong)

Not that long ago (like 10 years) U would buy a Pig booklet it was like 8.90 or something like that and it had 5 pig tags.. Now days its $22.17 for each pig..

Sdbirds said:
JaySoCal said:
Mesmashy said:

Id say pigs bring quite a bit of money. They surpass the deer in big game tags purchased in California. Plus some people are straight killers shooting way more than two year. Also most people I know that got in the hunting in recent years did it because of pigs. I feel like everybody thinks they're easy to get around here. According to the news they're everywhere

I honestly doubt that (the part i highlighted) i admittedly however will say i have not looked into How many pig tags are purchased in Cali..

However i have seen the deer tag quotas and those are some huge numbers..
If you have the pig tags number i definitely would like to see them.. Im always interested in knowledge of all kind..

Pigs have been the number one big game animal in California for some time now. True fact...

NBK said:
Pigs have been the number on big game animal in California for some time now. True fact...

Really mmm thats interesting.. Where could i read the number on that? im curious to see just how many tags are actually sold.

A long, but good read.......Over 40,000 pig tags sold in 2005-06.

.http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CE8QFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Faic.ucdavis.edu%2Fpub%2Fbriefs%2Fbrief33_v3.pdf&ei=5aFAVN3BBYm9igKHz4DYDw&usg=AFQjCNFFGrNXAJV1fSXIqkqZpjO5k3f5Fw&sig2=8FIZqRzbee9AlGb9TdpUlw&bvm=bv.77648437,d.cGE

JaySoCal said:
NBK said:
Pigs have been the number on big game animal in California for some time now. True fact...

Really mmm thats interesting.. Where could i read the number on that? im curious to see just how many tags are actually sold.

Somewhere I read that pigs had become the most popular big game animal in California. So when you challenged it I went into research mode as I needed to know the "true fact".

I was incorrect. Deer still leads the pack. But the trend does track with pigs becoming more popular in the future. Deer tags are on a decline year over year and pig tags continue to increase in sales popularity year over year.

Below are the statistics for California and its big game animals by tags sold.

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=59821&inline=1

Below are the statistics for California and its big game animals by revenue generated

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=59822&inline=1

ilovesprig said:
A long, but good read.......Over 40,000 pig tags sold in 2005-06.

.http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CE8QFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Faic.ucdavis.edu%2Fpub%2Fbriefs%2Fbrief33_v3.pdf&ei=5aFAVN3BBYm9igKHz4DYDw&usg=AFQjCNFFGrNXAJV1fSXIqkqZpjO5k3f5Fw&sig2=8FIZqRzbee9AlGb9TdpUlw&bvm=bv.77648437,d.cGE

Thanks for the link.. But yeah deer tags are WAY more then 40,000.. (even if the pig tags number went up from back in 06) Just adding zone A and B equals 100,000 deer tags..

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu