Votes: 16 25.0%
  • 41-50

Votes: 16 25.0%
  • 51-60

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • 60-on

Votes: 7 10.9%

• Total voters
Late bloomers, awesome , I quit Hunting for a while. And had bad times in the 90's , Berlin Wall went down so did all the military contracts.. no work all over the US..
I got back into it in my 50's.
My Lord felt like a rookie all over again.. I want to do it like Ilovesprig and hatchet.. hunt private or hunt in the truck lol.

I really wish I'd have gotten into this in my 20's and 30's. Several larger injuries it would have prevented me from having from Moto/DirtBikes/MtnBikes. Although.. I've broken bones worse while hunting then I have while on DirtBikes, so there's that. Hehe.

Also I think it would have done a lot to teach me patience, and planning.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I also use to ride, except flat track. My ex brother in law was #1 in flat track in Southern ca. He taught me how to ride. He wanted me to race but i backed out because all his friends were injured badly or were killed..
I started hunting at 12 or 13 a round about. Although my dad didn't like to hunt, my cousins, uncles and older brother, and brother n law did.
I was fortunate.. I started out on small game and upland game.
Regulations were much simpler then.

Last edited:
There's no better micro-rest than when you nod-off while on your sit on the Tripod stool... and you woke up because of hearing the foot steps of the Doe now crossing in your FOV in front of you. And... Like a Ninja... you only open your eyes and watch her cross your path... when the thought hits you... that somebody else might be after that a$$. That's when you look with your eyes only, to the direction she came from... and even though he's sorta behind some dead limbs hanging down... you can clearly make out the nice thick main branching in his antlers! A rush of heat whooshes thru your body! You begin to try to raise your rifle... but FREEZE!!!!... you notice his body language tensed up when you tried that. Don't...move....! In that moment... the serial killer within you takes over. You are stuck... suspended in time... until the inevitable glorious conclusion. Now... you wait... like a stone... like some Roman sculpture of an evil thing. In your controlled state... the widening of your eyes does all the talking for you... "Dat a$$ is MINE!!!". Your focus becomes a thing of legend! A good number of seconds has passed. All the while his pooNanny is trotting away. All your systems are GO for the attack. The buck finally makes a decision. He can't let that piece of "Trim" get away. A Fatal Mistake. He begins to attempt to traverse that space between the trees into the open! You begin to raise your rifle.. but you're nervous.. it's only your 2nd time.. you feel more wobbly than you should be. You probably wouldn't miss, but your nervous, and failure is NOT an option, so you quickly raise a leg to provide a knee to rest your elbow upon. This isn't so good either, but you're running out of space, he's past the midway point so it's now or never... in your minds eye.. you hear a sound from the Matrix movie... as you mentally envision his heart and lungs and their current position with his current orientation quartering away from you... you hold as your turn your body to match his trot.. squeeeeezzzzee.....BOOM! "What!?... What the...!?? No!! I know I hit him!!!" He didn't move or leap or buck sideways... and you really couldn't see him at the moment of the shot due to the recoil (and the mild ring in your ears). He starts running... and you're stunned!!! It's not possible! There's no way I could have missed!!! It isn't until he gets some 20yds away and is headed straight away from you and you can look down his other side that you finally see him start to hold up his outside leg and not let it touch the ground anymore.... you look... but you don't see any blood on that side...oh no! At 35yds... he turns behind a tree and heads further into the direction she was going. With senses heightened to ultimate focus, you are committing to visual memory over and over the tree where he turned... you know you've got to wait before pursuing him... and it's killing you! Not much longer and PSSSSSSHHHHHHH...!!! Silently... in your head you scream "YES!!!!...." as you know that means he's down. But since you didn't see blood on that exit side... like a kid in anticipation of Christmas Day sent to bed Christmas Eve... you wait! After the equivalent of a 100 Billion years to someone as impatient as you... finally... you gather your pack and you rise! Around that Tree... you see his foot steps... for sure... but then... after that turn.. ugh..nooooo!!!... can't see um the same anymore. Ok... Let's look around in that open area. Go glowly... we'll work our way over to where it drops back down into the gullie again down there. Ugh... I'm not seeing anything.. WTH!?... This is NOT GOOD....NOT...GOOD.... Exhaaaaaaaaale..... Alright, let's go back to the turn at the tree.. and try again. Maybe this time hug the edge more... maybe look into all the thick along the edge... go slow... he's gonna be hard to see. He only was one side of his antlers... so he won't have that "kickstand" sticking up... keep going... keep going.. ugh.. I hope he didn't go up and into all this thick... whoop... wait a minute..waaait a minute....is that... YESSS!!! YESSS!!!! Oh thank Goodness!!!! YES!!! Number 2 is in the Books!!! The Proof Baby!!!.... The Proof!!! It was not just Beginners luck that first time. YES!!! Show and Prove Baby!!!... Show... And.. Prove!!! !Voila!!.... My Avatar Pic!

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu