What worked and what didnt work?

Lungpopper

GLASS,GLASS,GLASS
Staff member
Mar 2, 2011
Lakeside
schoutdoors.com
Just thinking this would help people that might be in the market for some new gear but not sure if its something that works or doesn't work. Might help some people out.

What did you guys buy or use this year that you liked and what did you use or buy that you didn't like?

I made a couple of gear purchases this last year that I was happy with.

1, Big Agnes 15 deg lost ranger bag and Qcore pad. the combination cut 4 pounds off from the sleep system I was using before. Also it was much more comfortable.
2, Bought my first set of Sitka 90% pants and jacket. I was unsure about buying them because of the cost. But after a season of use they are my go to set of camo now.

As for purchases that I didn't like.
1.Bought some merino wool socks from REI. Was disappointed that they smelled so bad at the end of the day. The REI synthetics worked better for me.

Worked:
1) Sitka camo face mask. Fits well and camo is good, breathes extraordinarily well, and keeps the sun off. Will be perfect for turkey and will probably try it with waterfowl
2) Browning Ultimate Field Pro Pack (30L) that I bought from Whoopbass. Hydration equipped, plenty of storage for day trip, including hip pockets, and has a rifle holder.

Failed:
1) Whatever crappy daypack I bought at Big 5. I think it;s made for children. It was $35 so I just bought it without thinking. Mistake.
2) Simmons "600 yard" laser range finder. What a piece of junk. Can't range a hillside further than 300 yards away.

Lessons learned:
Buy good gear. Cheap crap is crap.

1) Alps outdoors Falcon daypack- I purchased it for $130. Holds a rifle packed well with a hybrid metal frame. Hip pockets were nice shoulder straps were slightly narrow. I was able to pack out 4 quarters backstraps and head of my deer with ease.

2) Vortex Ranger 1000- small, lightweight and accurate. Pushed it out to 890 yds in the field. Red display is key!

3) Havalon Pitanta and Baracuta- Pitanta was clutch in the field. I used the gutless method to disassemble my deer took 1 and just a few minutes on the 2 nd. Baracuta was OK it is a pretty stiff blade to use as a fillet knife, I like my fillet knives to have a healthy bend to them.

4) TIkka T3- great accurate gun not much to say on it but I was impressed. Especially with the 350 yd shot on my deer.

5) Mophie Juice Pack- was nice to have an entire portable charge in my pack for my phone
especially if you use your maps and gps on your phone a lot.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416895627.666217.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416895627.666217.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 18

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu