What's Going On?

Wow! Teach another just explained the nuts and bolts of dear hunting. That was an awesome post and the forum very much appreciates the time you took to right it.

I hope you recover quickly from your tussle with poison oak. Not fun stuff.

Thanks again,

John

teachanother,

Thank you so much for all the help and advice. Your write up was above and beyond anything I could have hoped for.
You have given me a lot to think about. I like the idea of spot and stalk hunting. I'm not sure if I could just sit in
a tree stand or blind for hours on end. I'm sure it is a lot easier once you have identified areas that hold deer via scouting
and cameras. Right now I have Zen-Ray ED2 8x43 binos. Do I also need a spotting scope for spot and stalk hunting? Or
will my binos do?

EVERYONE, Thanks again for all the help and advice.

Take care!

Joe

Joe,
In response to your questions...

"...Right now I have Zen-Ray ED2 8x43 binos. Do I also need a spotting scope for spot and stalk hunting? Or
will my binos do?"

I'd say go with what you have. Especially if you are on a budget. Fancy gear doesn't kill bucks, the knowledgeable hunter does. Most of the old timers laugh at us nowadays. Before Cabella's and Bass Pro Shops catalogs were around they were killing plenty of deer in this county with Sears binoculars, plaid shirts (colored red and black), stick bows and iron sites. The key is to get out there and keep the wind in your face. Try not to get hung up on the gear. You know we have a name for people who do?

Don't get me wrong, I love my hunting toys. They do enhance my ability to kill critters but I am surprised how often my kids and I kill game that didn't involve the use of anything but the basics (boots, bow/gun and a knife.)

I am not familiar with your binos but they sound like they'll do. San Diego Co. is big country to glass. When it comes to binos I like 10x42 or 10x50 power. I am partial to Leica because they are crystal clear at distances over 1,000 yards and they rarely fog up. I do use 8x30 Nikon's when I'm stand hunting. Alpen's are also good for a lot less $$$$.

Having a spotting scope saves on the hiking time and allows you to count antler points from great distances so you don't spook deer. I'm getting older so this is a big deal for me.

Good luck!

Awesome post ! You just put down in writing what takes many years to learn. Thanks for taking the time to teachanother.

Teachanother came on here and lay ed it all out there.
That was really big of him and I hope people that read that post appreciate it.
That's alot of TIME and years of SWEAT that he just gave away.
San Diego is not an easy place to hunt but he just made it alot easy er for some people that are willing to put some time in.

Awesome post, Thank you for taking the time and helping all hunters out there with your information. I have been hunting for years and your post was something that I can learn from also. All information is great information when it comes to hunting and being in the field. There are so many knowledgeable hunters out there we can all learn from.

Keep up the great work,
Larry Cochran

Jim,

Why do you say (buck only) for a AO tag? I searched thru the 2011 California Hunting Digest and the only thing I could find on AO tags was:

"Archery Only (AO) tags allow hunting with archery equipment only during the archery and general seasons in A, B, or D zones. An Archery-Only tag may be used by military personnel only for Additional Hunt G10. (To hunt during an X zone archery season, you must have an Area-Specific Archery Hunt tag.) You may not possess a firearm or crossbow when hunting under the authority of an Archery-Only deer tag except as otherwise provided."

I see no mention of what I can or cannot shoot. What am I missing here?
I sure don't want to break any laws.

Thanks for the help!

Joe

The AO is a buck only tag for sure.

D16 San Diego AO tag
Archery - Sep 3-25
- Oct 22-Nov 20

D15 or AO tag
Archery - Sep 3-25
- Oct 8-Nov 6

D11 LA AO tag
Archery - Sep 3-25
- Oct 8-Nov 6

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu